Options

Ideas for using DampRid

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Depending on snow levels this winter, access to the boat under cover might be difficult. Outside storage, and not plowed. In a perfect world, I'll use DampRid in the cabin set inside a pail that I can empty from time to time. If I can't get to it....
I had thought about putting the containers in the sinks and just letting the water drain out, but the package clearly states to not let contents contact metal..makes sense, I could see the Calcium and Potassiuim Chloride having an adverse effect. What do any of you do? Just get an extra, extra large tub? Had thought about rigging a drain hose into a bucket and stuffing it down the drain....probably not good for the hull finish below the thru-hull....
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy the big self containing bucket of damprid. No way one of these will overflow. They last a few months, also have different scents. 2 in the cabin will last you through spring. I also put one in the cockpit area.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Been trying to find a source in Canada. No luck so far. Can get them shipped from the US thru Amazon but the cost is ridiculous with exchange and shipping. $40 each for the 4 lb. $100 for the 8 lb. Can't seem to find the extra large ones here. Going to try an RV outlet later today.
  • Options
    Yeah, I can get a fair size refill easily. Maybe I'll just rig my own bucket. Admiral has enough gardening pots and pails and junk around.....
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't work below freezing any way lol
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I place one large tub in the sink, one in the head and one next to the mid bilge panel.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Will I ordered a couple from the bed bath and beyond website. Way cheaper than amazon. 
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Big tub lasts all summer and I get one late season for winter
    bag version works but will burst if not checked frequently lol
  • Options
    tk1973 said:
    Will I ordered a couple from the bed bath and beyond website. Way cheaper than amazon. 
    Thanks @tk1973, I'll check it out. 
  • Options
    I got mine at Home Depot. Not sure if they have them at the Depots north of the boarder, but they were found in the paint aisle by the solvents. They were $10 USD.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    get an "Air Drier" - 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea's, had one burst, all over the carpets, and was not freezing weather at the time, from then on I just hung them in shower and left the door open.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    just bought mine at home depot. $10 each. i replace mine end of january but mine is underground and it is pretty damp there
  • Options
    tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Canadian Tire in Keswick also has a similar product in the boating section. Was refillable as well. I would’ve bought it but had already ordered the damp rid. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Dollar store.......... $1 each and its about the same thing......... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

They normally don't fill to the point of overflowing. If you're concerned, there's a few options like just put more than 1 in the cabin, put 2 or 3 spread out. They'll each take out a portion of water, and they shouldn't fill up, not all 3, that'd be a tonne of moisture.

The other option is to put them in a larger container, just in case they do overflow. So think of a bucket in a bucket. 

Once I covered my boat, I would not want to go back in. Actually opening and closing can introduce moisture.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    That's what I did today. Large bucket in a bucket. Should be good.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normally I just use my boat and open the widows.....in December!
  • Options
    Yeah....but how about July??
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Close the windows and run the a/c!
  • Options
    Will be in FLA for 10 days in February. Get that tub in the water so you can take me for a cruise!
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I always have a large bucket of damp rid  in my galley. One I buy is the big bucket with a top seal. So no worries about leaking or anything like that. What I do is always leave my aft cabin window open in the summer and run a fan constantly in the galley. This moves the air and has really helped with mOld
    or other odors.
    ac is good to control humidity but if someThing ruptures look out. Bulge pumps better be ready. 
  • Options
    Had a hard time finding those big buckets  in Canada. What I did was rig my own by using an old plastic garden pot with holes in it placed inside a 2 gallon bucket. The whole thing just sits in the galley sink so if it did overflow, and I doubt it will, it'll overflow out. Don't want that stuff I the sink but I'll be checking on the boat over the winter anyway. Also left the side ports cracked ever so slightly for some airflow. And I'm not a fan of shrinkwrap. Apart from the cost and then it gets tossed into the environment afterwards I believe it is better to use the frame and tarp I have that allows some airflow. 
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Close the windows and run the a/c!
    I thought your boat was on the hard all summer?
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    MarkB said:

Once I covered my boat, I would not want to go back in. Actually opening and closing can introduce moisture.

No more than what would come in via the vents that should be installed in the wrap anyway, it's not airtight fit and why you out these in.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Willhound said:
    That's what I did today. Large bucket in a bucket. Should be good.

Just one thing to note, if it does overflow ... you're crystals are also done. So you actually want to make sure you have more crystals than water ... if you think you're going to overflow, then you need a bigger bucket of crystals or more buckets.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Yep. Crystals are sitting up higher than a drain I drilled in the side of the bucket. It'll overflow before hitting the crystals if it comes to that.
  • Options
    icoultha said:
    MarkB said:

No more than what would come in via the vents that should be installed in the wrap anyway, it's not airtight fit and why you out these in.
    True, but I'm thinking larger openings when doors are open, and bigger turn over of air.  With just the vent, the cabin humidity reaches an equilibrium with the crystals, and if you have air moving through the cabin, it breaks that equilibrium and saturates up again.

"Boat + Water = Fun"