Can't set VitroFrigo fridge to "Off"

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
When we got the boat this spring the temp control knob on the VitroFrigo fridge was seized. Some persistent back and forth finally freed it up enough that I can crank it up and down, but still can't seem to get the last click to off. So only way I can shut down and defrost is to turn the batteries to off. Tried to get the plastic knob off so I could get pliers on it to crank harder, but doesn't seem to want to come off. Maybe some kind of contact cleaner or lubricant sprayed around the control?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    When you have your ac and dc main switches off on the panel down below the fridge should get no power. That is how mine is. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My fridge is DC only and the panel on my FV270 doesn't have a DC or fridge switch. Fridge is wired direct to the push button breaker at the battery switch. Unless I can make the temp control switch to off the only way to kill the power to it is to kill all the DC at the battery switch. 
  • laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Mine is the same way. Terrible design 
    Yeah, I think next spring I'll wire in a switch, in a spot that it can't accidentally be hit, but if I want to defrost. Maybe put it right off the push button breaker under the battery switch cover.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer, when I turn the main D.C. Switch off at the top of the panel, above the main light switches, it cuts D.C. To the fridges. may need to replace the thermostat. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Well...if I have too, I'm sure I can pull the fridge, pull the thermostat out and either get it working to shutoff or replace it. Would be the proper way to fix it I guess.
  • BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    If its the same as my 270, I just took out the stat and cleaned and lubed it up....worked great all year.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

Try some WD40. Worked on mine. My frigs are wired direct to the batteries. If you have a fuse on the DC panel that says fridge, then yours is wired to the batteries and it doesn't matter if you turn off the main DC switch.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had the same problem with the switch inside of fridge had to use pliers to get it to turn off, I removed the switch, put a few drops of light weight oil on switch shaft, worked it back and forth many times with pliers, if finely freed up.
    Boat Name : 

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I turned off the DC main breaker and the light in the fridge stopped coming on. 

Hope that's not a common thing for the Vitrifrigo units.  I just upgraded to one this season and have been very happy with it.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

I think mine just sat too long without being turned, so got stiff. Work it from time to time and it should be alright. Does yours not have an Off setting?
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, if you can't get it to work with some WD40, I'd say just put a switch on the live line. Not sure if you can change the breaker to something that you can pop yourself, as I can't imagine you need to defrost often.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

I defrosted twice over the summer, but could have used three.  I find the freezer frosts up  then the fridge gets wet inside. Opening the door too often to get a beer... :D
    Pulled the batteries today to wnterize so good for the winter.