Options

Analog Gauge to VesselView conversion - Some odd results to correct

Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
The PO converted the gauges to a VV7. First oddity: the OAT is always negative temperature. I can't figure out how to calibrate/reset it.

Also, when I start the engine I get two errors:
  1. Fuel level sender invalid (but I do get fuel level readings) 
  2. 451-25 pitot sensor
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I'm not sure how it could show negative.  It can't be a sensor problem, or you'd be getting fault codes.  Have you tried updating the VV to the latest version of software?
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The term "conversion" is interesting.  When VV was added to my boat, all the existing connections to the analog gauges were abandoned.  A new smartcrtaft cable was run from the engines to junction boxes, then to the VV.  If they didn't do something similar then I'd expect some odd behavior. 

I believe there is a special adapter to connect a pitot.  I have the GPS connected via NMEA 0183 instead.  But you may have a pitot sensor that's connected and having an issue.

I have the cable to connect the fuel tank senders but haven't had time to connect it yet.  It's top of my Spring time projects for next season. 

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a clue on the negative temp but the other two are "Normal ghost" errors on a lot of Mercruiser engines.  When i connect to my engines to read errors i will always see the same 5 ghost fault codes and those are two of them.  I was told to just ignore when looking at them with a Rhinda.  Is there a way in VV7 to tell it to ignore them?
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Not a clue on the negative temp but the other two are "Normal ghost" errors on a lot of Mercruiser engines.  When i connect to my engines to read errors i will always see the same 5 ghost fault codes and those are two of them.  I was told to just ignore when looking at them with a Rhinda.  Is there a way in VV7 to tell it to ignore them?
    Awesome, that's what I was looking for. I also have the VV Mobile and can block the codes on my cell phone. I'll have to find a way to block them on the VV.
  • Options
    Stodge said:
    The term "conversion" is interesting.  When VV was added to my boat, all the existing connections to the analog gauges were abandoned.  A new smartcrtaft cable was run from the engines to junction boxes, then to the VV.  If they didn't do something similar then I'd expect some odd behavior. 

I believe there is a special adapter to connect a pitot.  I have the GPS connected via NMEA 0183 instead.  But you may have a pitot sensor that's connected and having an issue.

I have the cable to connect the fuel tank senders but haven't had time to connect it yet.  It's top of my Spring time projects for next season. 

I'm using the GPS speed from my XSE GO5. I'll see if I can disonnect the pitot sensor to clear it up.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    It's probably grumbling because the pitot is disconnected, or it was never there in the first place.  You'd need to reconnect it, or tell VV there's no pitot. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    It's probably grumbling because the pitot is disconnected, or it was never there in the first place.  You'd need to reconnect it, or tell VV there's no pitot. 
    Well, that's easier said then done. I've spent a lot of time wandering around the VV menus. and I'm an IT guy.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does your dash look like? I have been contemplating upgrading to VV4 and debated on what to leave and what to get rid of. Can you post, or PM me a picture?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

Had to keep the large gauges for the fuel level.  I hope to have time this Spring to get the fuel sender cable connected to the VV so I could go without them too.  

• Options
  • Options
    Excuse the mess. The compass was leaking. I fixed it, but the first time I went to use the midship cleat my knee knocked it loose again, I haven't figured out what to do there. And I have a GO5 where the GlobalMap3500c is, with the nmea connection to the VV7. When running I use the VV7 for navigation, and the GO5 for engine monitoring.
  • Options
    Looks Good.  I have the 1st generation VV.  I'd like to upgrade some day, but this one works well.