Options

Trim Tabs Not Working - electrical question too

New Rinker 342 owner here.  I just got my boat and trying to figure out what electrical powers what so this may be some switch or something I'm doing wrong.  My Trim Tabs seem to not be moving.  The lights work on the helm and the are not even.  the lights don't move when I push the up/down buttons?  Anything I need to have switched on for them to work?  Any ideas as to the problem?  In addition when running my Gen Set and switching on everything in the control panel the Air, microwave, and coffee maker are not working.  Left voltage meeter isn't showing anything but right one is??  Sorry for the stupid questions, brand new at this.

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The trim tabs should be pretty much directly wired.  I'm sure there is breaker (or fuse) to protect them, but for the most part you shouldn't have to flip a switch to enable them.  

Assuming they are electric, you can trace the wires at both ends.  It could be a simple lose or broken connection.  Lose ground connection is a very common cause of electrical problems.

Welcome aboard and congrats on the 342.  We just finished our 4th season with ours and love her.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typically they get a crack in the housing which allows water to enter and kills the motor. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    The following thread shows some basics about the power panel, including switch positions for running on generator power (go to the end of the page):

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5793/rinker-frequently-asked-questions-faq#latest 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Life span on trim cylinders seems to be about 10 years easy repair and not to expense 150 each.
    Think for the genny ? You need to switch the main breaker.
    Welcome to form and congrats on the 342. Just finished my 1st full season.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @reneechris14 - how easy in the trim cylinder repair.  I have one to do next spring.  Curious on what the actual steps are.  Do you have to disturb the existing wiring?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Just replaced a trim cylinder a month ago. Getting the screws out is the hardest part.  Both trim cylinders have two wires. They run up to the helm and mine go into a small black box. This acts as a brain and resets the trim tabs back up when you turn off the engine.  I love this feature. Also upgraded the switch to have a led indicator to show the position.  So if both don't work I would start by looking for a fuse that was popped, then would test the cylinders by just putting 12 v to each one.  If they work with power then the cylinder is fine and it is switch or brain. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @skennelly the black and white wire though the transom then their are bullet connector or just butt connector inside . Transom is thick to get though and plenty of 5200 to seal it up. There is a pin on the top and bottom of the actuator for mounting. You can just put a test light on the connections hit the rocker switch to be sure shot. $139 on line. Probably 1/2 hour job.
  • Options
    SoulGravySoulGravy Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    @davidbrooks Can you provide more detail on upgrading the switch to have a led indicator to show trim tab position?  That is something I would love to do, but don't know where to begin.
  • Options
    it really is pretty simple. if you look at this pic it give you a better idea of the parts. 

The black box with all the wires is the brain.  It has one connector that goes to the actual switch.  Then one you wire into power and ground.  Power should be switched so that it comes on when you turn the key.  Then the other two are to your trim tabs.  Just remember before you close it all up to test.  Moving the Right switch should move your left trim tab.  If it doesn't just swap. The switch instructions say that if you cut the wires you void the warranty.  I ignored that. This is a really helpful upgrade.  1. I always know the tab positions and 2. they reset back to full up when i turn off the engines.  Love that. 
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    There has also been discussion on here about the position of the "Brain" unit being crucial. I don't recall all the details, but Lenco stresses that it needs to be correct.
  • Options
    I believe box strait up and wires out the bottom 
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Mine is just hanging.  Not sure why it is crucial. I am wondering if Lenco is doing a little cya. 
    Post edited by davidbrooks on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    mine too put some good velco on it and stuck it to the wall as strait up as possible. I'm also not sure how critical it is either.
  • Options
    SoulGravySoulGravy Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Thanks for the information.  And, to boot, I learned something new and it make sense now that everything seemed backward when I tried to level the boat with the trim tabs.  I didn't know the right switch controlled the left tab.
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    As far as your left meter not working, the toggle switch just to the right of it has three positions. Top is Shore Power, middle is off and bottom is Air Cond Power. Push it up and the meter will show you available shore power, mid shows nothing and bottom your meter will show available air cond power. Tells you if your power cords are connected properly.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Make sure the master switch for the AC is turned on. Is there power to the thermostat?
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's