Options

'03 342 Bilge pump size

I think I've burned up the bilge pumps on my boat by leaving them running.  I think from reading here that there are 2 of them.  I'm going to try and get them replaced tomorrow.  Does anyone know what size, gph, etc. I need to replace these? It seems really straightforward, but are there any gotchas I need to be on the lookout for?  Any other advice (besides don't leave them running for a week)?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    The one under the mid-berth is pretty easy to access.
    The one in the engine bay is a pita to get at.  lol

On the mid-berth one, I went with a different model with a built in float switch and got rid of the floa

I believe they are 750 gph. [edit: I was almost close with this lol]  If you look and get the same model, they just unsnap to remove and pop in, just have to rewire.
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine in my 2003 310 are 1150 GPH. Not sure if original or swap outs, can't go too big though.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rule brand comes highly recommended. most of the time Rule is what Rinker uses. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    2005 342 this was the one in the midbrith. The blue base is the tough thing to replace in the engine bay. Like black diamond said get the same model and pull out then but connect new wires and click back in. Ps mine bilge is clean and smells good now. This is how the previous owner cared for the boat (open check book chris).
    Post edited by reneechris14 on
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should be Rule 1100GPH pumps. They are the easiest to replace. You shouldn't need to replace the basket when doing the direct replacement.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    FDNY49FDNY49 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Replaced my pump with a 2000 GPH rule activated by a water switch in FV 312.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My midbrith was different then the engine bay so when I changed them I put the same 1100gph in both location. Putting the basket bottom thing in the engine bay was tough the lift is in the way of reaching it. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    SoulGravySoulGravy Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Those of you that said the engine bay pump is hard to reach are not lying. I lost over a pint of blood, collapsed a lung, and dislocated my shoulder, but I got that son of a gun replaced.  During the process, I may or may not have said some things I wouldn't have said in front of my mother. I replaced the "non-automatic" pump and float switch with an automatic version because the float switch was bad along with the pump.  The float switch is bad in the mid-berth, but the pump is fine.  New float switch on the way.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    @SoulGravy.  Go buy yourself a movers blanket and keep it on the boat for when you have to lay over the engines to do work in the torture compartment.  I keep mine and tools in the plastic bins under the forward birth.  You have to lift the cushions to find them.  Also, if you flip the bilge switch at the helm it should force BOTH bilge pumps to run.  Check and make sure it does.  The PO of my boat had rewired the mid bilge pump incorrectly and it didn't work this way.  Fixed that and replace both pumps about 2 weeks after i bought my boat. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto on the blanket. I don’t keep on the boat but take it down when I know I am going to be subjected to chest punctured. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/