Options

05 342 Clock

JPCJPC Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
Does anyone know if the clock at the helm on an 05 342 has a dedicated connection to the batteries or it's own internal battery?  I have all of the power switches off and the clock is still ticking away.  

Comments

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I'm pretty sure that unless you turn your battery switches off at the stern, the clock is always running.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Powered by them helm no little battery. Mine does not tick at all . Time stands still when broken.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it's wired to the hot side of ignition switch
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Guaranteed it does NOT have it's own power. Mine was broken and I replaced it 3 years ago with one I got from JC Whitney
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.  I have all of the switches off at the stern but there is still power to the engines as I was able to trim the drives down.  Am I missing a power switch?  The boat is in storage for the winter and it would seem the clock would drain all of the battery's power running all winter long 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    I would disconnect your batteries for storage 
    Absolutely, you should always disconnect the black side of the batteries in the winter. Where we store indoor we have to sign off either paying them to do it or agreeing that we will do it ourselves. Fire hazard.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 Can you explain the Fire Hazard comment.  I am not following how it is a fire hazard to keep the batteries connected in the winter but is ok to keep them connected in the summer and isn't a fire hazard.  I probably shouldn't of, but last year i kept my batteries on my boat hooked up.  The boat was plugged into power all winter and the battery chargers kept a trickle charge going.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any live battery can be a fire hazard. But maybe because staff not always on site at winter time to spot trouble?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    That's the storage facility reason for making us sign that we agree to either pay them to disconnect or sign that we will do it ourselves. Makes sense though when you think about it. In the summer boats are outside, so breeze is flowing through to some extent and th boats are father apart. In winter the boats are all literally within a foot of each other and there is zero air movement. A spark from a battery inside can be much more catastrophic than outside in the dock when you think about it. 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I could be wrong but left connected and drain down do to a draw. Some stuff would cut out (ie fridge 11volts) battery would regenerate it self and appliance kick back on for a second or two and then off again. And like liberty said no fresh air and plenty if fuel all things could go boom.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Mine stays out on the lift (just where it is all summer) and plugged into shore power and battery still connected.  But I agree, storing inside, battery should be disconnected.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Problem solved, thanks for the comments. Raised the hatch with a jump start pack, disconnected the blacks on all 4 batteries and lowered the hatch back down,  Now all ready for shrink wrap and a long winters nap.  
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    With the boat plugged in to 110 and your battery charger switch on your hatch should still go up and down with no batteries hooked up. Mine does. I think it's thanks to the isolator. 
    Post edited by Liberty44140 on