Options

If you could 3d print anything for your boat, what would you print?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just got a fun 3d printer working (after putting it together in July)
Looking for idea's here.. can be anything! May be able to just send things out to ppl who want them

- Custom vent louvers for the engine room!
- Shelves for the various storage holes (2004 boat)..
- Sink strainers
- Strainer for bathroom floor

Anyone have any other ideas?

Comments

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    how bout trying for a new 320ex........just saying
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Custom dash panels?
    Something different for the magazine rack thing.like something to hold fishing gear.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    A new anchor...in solid 24K gold.

Andy
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok Mr. T
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So.....i am fascinated by these but have no clue how they work or what they can do...and how durable the result is. I need exhaust louvers or vent I suppose they are....
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    My step-son bought one a few years ago. I have a small CNC machine in my garage so he made me an attachment to hold a sharpie. I can import a drawing or picture and the CNC would draw it on whatever material. I never used it but he only had it for about a week and got the files off some site. Seems pretty sturdy though. I would think vent louvers would be plenty sturdy enough.
  • Options
    yeah, it'd be perfect for the vents, going to try and print some tomorrow. Would be neat because you could put any words you want on them... your boat name, your name, etc etc... 

Trying to figure out how to make some cool shelves for this space.. 

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    3D printers in my world are used only to bring future production components  to life and 1:1 scale. 3D printers have limits on size of the detail and quality of certain shapes. I don’t know how much you paid for one but fully blown commercial ones are expensive and cost a ton. 

in today’s day major designers use either auto cad, solid works or master cam but that’s mostly for cnc use to generate tool path and generate g code.
    i much rather prefer a small lathe and a mill. This way you can cover mosT applications and it will take less time but require more money and programming.

run of the mill

Cnc wood cutters or 3D printers require you to use whatever software and file extension they have setup for the machine to read and make the detail. Aka what came with the machine and can communicate.
    some more expensive products will import solid works or cad files like a dxf.
    one Set back to 3D printing is amount of time it takes to make details since it’s done one layer at a time.
    material is another issue specially for object that will require to hold weight or finish.
    my 2 cents.

• Options
    Some of that is true... most any 3d printer can communicate with programs called slicers... will be using simplify3d for the stuff over here...and generating the prints with tinkercad.com or fusion360.. here's one we've got http://i.imgur.com/quZ6MO2.jpg 

Should be able to print some pretty big parts! 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    channeled plates... simple plastic or starboard type materiel where inconspicuous plates can be adhered to various strategic locations such as swim platform, down the rail, anywhere in the cockpit area, or even in the cabin... then, coozies with matching channel plates on their bottoms that slip into and lock to the adhered plate.  

this would allow you to place drinks in a lot of places without having to have a cup holder- which collects crap and is (not difficult, but) bothersome to keep clean. 

a single or maybe two channels that slide-lock from either direction, and remain flat enough and color matched to blend right in.  super easy to clean... a lot less spilled drinks.  

same concept could be used for lots of things, from hanging life preservers/throws, to platters, securing spotlights/lighting various places around the boat (sharing the same plates as the coozies or other items being used in same manner) and even cell phones (which are never far from peoples hands nowadays, but are always sliding about and being picked up).. you could actually make little rectangular bins that attach in same manner to put things like phones, keys, wallets, ect in- that wouldn't slip around... a matter of fact, i have a miniature pelican style case with boat reg, insurance, license, ect- in it when i'm underway to keep it dry and in one place... having a channel plate thingy adhered to both it and somewhere conspicuous in the helm area would be a good thing- if i were to get used to hanging it there it would be in easy reach for coastguard/law enforcement boardings, and i'd be able to visually check from afar if i remembered to grab the thing.

little channeled plates would be **** handy.  shoot, you could even make some to hold batteries in place in the engine hold- making removing them really simple, and not allow a place for crap to accumulate such as battery trays do.  there is really a lot more places they could be used..... holding mooring covers.. securing coiled ropes... securing wakeboards/skiis.. tackle boxes and/or coolers... 
  • Options
    How much was that printer 
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    The one my step-son bought was about $400. Not sure what brand or where he bought it. He used it 2 or 3 times then sold it. Typical of him. Had a quad for a few months, then a razor for a few months, now talking about a boat and/or camper...lol.

For my CNC I use Mach3 for my CNC to create the g-code and Vectric Aspire for CAD drawings. I have used Mastercam too. We had it at my old job and the CNC guy there taught me a little about it and I made a few simple files with it and cut them on my machine.

I remember my step-son talking about his printer and it sounded very similar to my CNC as far as the drawings go.
  • Options
    I work for American as a manufacturing engineer axle and program simple 2 axis all the way to 5 machine centers. Also do custom
    built turn key machines 
    reason I asked is a run off the mill 3D printer runs about 3k
    we use a 10k printer for some prototype models.
    ebay printers run 120 to 500 which are good for home use.

mastercam is an awsome piece of the puzzle along with cad and solid works.
    solid works is really found main stream now.
    Most 2 axis machines are programmed  in d+ and z+ setup
    which utilizes a upper side view to crate tool
    path.
    3d printers beneft
    from
    either cad files or solid 3D files.
    i can go on and on lol I know a lot about this subject.
    lets say you want to crate two planes that assemble on a printer. You will need to create a process that uses same Datums for locating while printing lol
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerd....jk\ interesting stuff for sure. I worked as a draftsman ( using lead!) 40 years ago- first doing tool drawings for an aluminum extrusion plant and then for a manufacturing company doing roll form and other various stamped parts - probably good I found another career path...
  • Options
    My old
    boss told me once
    you are worth nothing unless you can take a print and bring it to life 
    this means draw it and end up with a given product.
    i went to school for robotics and controls. After 4 Years I ended up in manufacturing.
    i can old school program with paper and pencil using trig.
    if you can look at a g code or any code for that matter and picture the Tool path I would call
    you good lol 
  • Options
    Dude this iPhone i got sucks
    screw speak to type
    my runs sound like a 5 year old wrote them. Lol
  • Options
  • Options
    was about 1600 bucks... ;) it's our 7th 3d printer in the lab... the other ones are normal size, this one prints big stuff! 
  • Options
    channeled plates... simple plastic or starboard type materiel where inconspicuous plates can be adhered to various strategic locations such as swim platform, down the rail, anywhere in the cockpit area, or even in the cabin... then, coozies with matching channel plates on their bottoms that slip into and lock to the adhered plate.  

this would allow you to place drinks in a lot of places without having to have a cup holder- which collects crap and is (not difficult, but) bothersome to keep clean. 

a single or maybe two channels that slide-lock from either direction, and remain flat enough and color matched to blend right in.  super easy to clean... a lot less spilled drinks.  

same concept could be used for lots of things, from hanging life preservers/throws, to platters, securing spotlights/lighting various places around the boat (sharing the same plates as the coozies or other items being used in same manner) and even cell phones (which are never far from peoples hands nowadays, but are always sliding about and being picked up).. you could actually make little rectangular bins that attach in same manner to put things like phones, keys, wallets, ect in- that wouldn't slip around... a matter of fact, i have a miniature pelican style case with boat reg, insurance, license, ect- in it when i'm underway to keep it dry and in one place... having a channel plate thingy adhered to both it and somewhere conspicuous in the helm area would be a good thing- if i were to get used to hanging it there it would be in easy reach for coastguard/law enforcement boardings, and i'd be able to visually check from afar if i remembered to grab the thing.

little channeled plates would be **** handy.  shoot, you could even make some to hold batteries in place in the engine hold- making removing them really simple, and not allow a place for crap to accumulate such as battery trays do.  there is really a lot more places they could be used..... holding mooring covers.. securing coiled ropes... securing wakeboards/skiis.. tackle boxes and/or coolers... 
    can you make one on tinkercad.com and show us what you mean? Sounds very interesting!
  • Options
    Lol
    tinker cad
    how about you guys email me some aprox dims or a print. I can draw whatever you want in plane 
    2d 3D or 4d
  • Options
    zaverin1 said:
    Lol
    tinker cad
    how about you guys email me some aprox dims or a print. I can draw whatever you want in plane 
    2d 3D or 4d
    ya, just a nice easy and free website to thow around ideas ;) 
  • Options
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,538 mod
    I'd print a 1:100 scale model of my boat.  I'd paint it the right colors and display it in my office.
  • Options
    A buddy of mine asked me to try and print the throttle plate thing for his whaler...

His was broken..

This was just going to be the rough draft so did it "rough" - 200% speed, etc etc.. took about 90 mins from scanning it with a regular scanner, converting to 3d and printing the white letters.. gotta love technology (sometimes)!

1 Broken Piece
    2 Imported into tinkercad

• Options
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool
    Boat Name :