Options

should I re pull the out drive?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, this has been the worst boating period of my life since owning a boat- not that anything is bad, I'm just sort of stuck. Most I'm sure are well aware that I recently, over a couple months, pulled my Bravo III drive and I'm sure most are pretty tired of hearing about it but what the heck, will ask anyway.

I was able to get the drive remounted a couple of days before Irma came through and got the boat put up. When I put the drive back on, I had no idea that the torque on the mounting bolts was so light- it's like 25 ft. lbs. So, while I did not really wrench down on them, I put way more than 25 lbs on them and I'm concerned I compressed the new seal kit.

My next move, as soon as the waters recede is to put the boat in the water to see if I have even solved my leak. Knowing what I know now, I'm more inclined to think that my problems was either the steering pin, the engine side of the water hose and lastly just before I put the boat up I saw that where the speedo tube connects on the engine side of the transom was broken off- 3 places higher than the bellows that may have been the leak....so I wanted to just dunk the boat and look back there again and see if I could better identify where the leak either is, or if it is gone. I just made the assumption when I had the leak it was bellows, lack of experience on my part.....so.....the question or the concern I have is if I damaged that seal kit when I remounted the out drive, can I possible have a leak somewhere into the out drive that I for sure don't want to happen? I hate to re do that just to dunk it and find I still have a problem and re do, but then I don't want to do something to create more of a problem which I'm often apt to do!

What do you think? Also, the tube length I came up with for the gear oil is to long and when I put the drive up, it bent it to the point where it is crimped and lastly, my trim sensors don't seem to be working so I have to work through that as well. Seems I still have a long way to go, it was an interesting tear something apart but I'm thinking I will have to go through it all again to make sure I have this right. Reading what it cost to replace the out drive or re build it, my time is pretty cheap in the process....

Comments