Winter Cover

I have a Rinker 342 I purchased this season and it came with a very heavy Fisher Cover, custom made for the boat. Previous owner states he leaves the camper canvass on and uses 2 plastic garbage cans for the bow.  Is it ok to leave the summer canvass on and just go over with the cover, or should I remove all isinglass and canvass before covering.

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m sure everyone has there own ways weather it be wrong or right. I leave everything up and go over it with a tarp. I’ve been doing it this way for the past 5 years.

2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the fisher canvas in no way touches the camper canvas than it's ok. But I would take it home. I store indoors and I take all of the eisenglass home for the winter to clean and store. I leave the tops on and put the mooring cover on. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Fisher cover and I take my covers off and store them at home in my basement. The cover will work better if you make a frame so the water/snow is able to roll off and not collect anywhere. Here is a thread that shows the frame that I built out of 2" and 1" PVC pipe.

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/73697#Comment_73697

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Ditto Greg and Liberty.  Take all of it off and just use the Fisher cover.  Cleaning the isinglass and storing it wrapped in towels/sheets is the best thing for it.  Also, as Greg mentioned, a good PVC frame is easy to make, cost less than $50 and is well worth doing.  I've been covering my boats for the past 18 winters and I've seen people go the easy route only to have snow cave them in and then it is a huge mess.  I've even seen it break a windshield and then they were out for a few months in boating season to get it repaired.  Trash cans really aren't the best thing for underneath.  The 342 is a good size boat and should have proper support.

Welcome to the forum!  The 342 is probably the best boat Rinker ever made!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• carmencarmen Member Posts: 2
    Well, looks as if the Fisher cover that came with this boat is worthless. After getting her on, I find the top is like tissue paper and ripping easily. Got a mess on me hands. Looks like a new light weight cover for next winter. Now I am leaving the camper top on to catch the water that will come through where the winter cover has ripped. Got to make do with what I have.

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attwood makes a patch kit that uses fabric glue. It will get you thru the winter.
    http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/Boat-Cover-Repair-Kits

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!