Options

Bent Bow Pulpit

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod

Ok, I'm a bit curious if anyone else has had the issue of your SS bow pulpit bending at the end after a windy weekend?  This had happened to me on my 310.  Now it happened two weekends ago after being on the hook when it was quite windy.  I only had the bow line out, and yes the boat swung with the wind and no obstructions.  Yet, it bent on the furthest part out, lower portion.  Something similar to the one in this picture (although those creases are on purpose & mine has the roller on it) I don't think it hurt anything, but what the heck!  (also seems like it may have just a tad loosened so the entire SS part moves a little - I will have to tighten the bolts that hold it from within the backside of the anchor/rhode area)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a more "dynamic" anchoring day you might need to unload the roller assy with a bridle from both port/starboard bow cleats and down to the anchor line with a rolling hitch or prusik hitch or a chain hook like this:

Here's a good rolling hitch and prusik hitch bridle thread from a Cruisers forum

It'll help with chafing and swinging at anchor and should help ease the strain of a single point of attachment on your larger boat. Pretty simple once you do it a few times.  Have a great season, Mike 
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Tiki, I like the idea of the Prusik knot.  I wonder if I could get away with doing that, but instead of a loop, one end would go to one front cleat and the other to the other side of the bow?  I'd think just those windy days is when I'd have to do it.

• Options
    If there is any chance of foul weather I usually let out some extra scope and rig a bridle before it gets too challenging to work the bow. It's a tried and true fix for anything rowdier than a normal day (or night) out. 

With our tall freeboard we swing all over creation when the wind pipes up so a bridle helps some in that respect too. Mostly it's about distributing the load and chafe prevention. We've rode out some great storms and have little anxiety once you trust your system. That bow roller was certainly talking to you about needing some help.  It'll be good to hear your results. 

Anchoring in a storm with calculated confidence in your gear and ability is great, it's the untamed fury of lighning that was really unnerving in our former boat. I'm just relieved I don't have a 45' aluminum lightening rod sticking up from the middle of our boat anymore. 

Be safe and have a great season. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Never seen the bridle set-up before thanks for sharing. Bent the crap out of mine on lake Michigan but now that I'm AZ boater that kind of wind/wave action is not much of an issue.

The wife and I are missing big water so we may make the decision to move the boat to California in the next year or two. This would definitely be on the must list then for sure.

Kurt
  • Options
    ok, it was a bit windy this past Saturday.  Had about a half dozen Rinkers on my rhode thru the weekend and tried the new Prusik knot!  Perfect!!  Man was that nice and so simple!  Absolutely was the easiest and best thing to do.  Thanks again Mike!! :-c

• Options
    edited June 2013
    PICS...PICS...PICS of that Rinker raftup  >>  :-bd   :-bd

Gotta like the ease and function of that bridle knot. Glad it worked out.
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Awesome video!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re: Prusik knot and mooring bridle set-up: I watched the videos and went online to the Cruisers Forum. All good stuff. Have sailed in the past. We used to use  a hook to grab a link in the all chain rode that we had (350' of it). That hook led to a metal plate swivel bridle attachment point with two or more metal connection loops to attach "snubber" lines to. Two in normal conditions multiple lines in a blow. These lines went to cleats on the bow of the sailboat to spread the stress loads among two or more cleats.

I can make a Prusik knot, no problem. Advice Please:  Now what? How do I do it for an express cruiser?  Do I make one prusik knot and tie its line off to a starboard bow cleat and then make a second Prusik knot and tie it's line off to the port bow cleat -or- do I make one Prusik knot and tie it to a nylon bridle loop of a single piece of nylon that is then fastened to the two bow cleats? Or, do I attach it to a professional sailor's bridle. OR  do I have it all wrong and I should go sit in the corner with a dunce cap on (been there before btw). Help!  MT

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    in the corner with dunce cap! love it, you must have had a parochial school upbringing. been there don that! :-)
  • Options
    MT, make a prusik knot in the middle of ~10ft line to your already set rhode.  Then tie one end of the line to your front port cleat and the other to stbd cleat.  Then let a bit more rhode out and that is it.  I tell you what, it works great!  This is one of the better things I've learned for anchoring!

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks DI !  Of course that's exactly what the Admiral said we should do and I replied that it sounded too easy - there had to be more to it. That will now be a week's dishes and vacuuming that I will be doing along with my other assignments. I had better stay off this site for awhile or I'll never get near the boat! MT