Newbie, jumping right in with both feet

Hi, all -

Two days ago, I became a Rinker Rocket owner (we'll just call it "starting small and easy")... and it's been an adventure. Read a ton of posts here, did a bunch of work on the boat already - not that it needed a lot, but changing a bad horn button meant removing the electrical panel, which meant pulling the wheel, which has some rusty parts that needed cleaning up - and then there was a bunch of very poor-quality "custom" wiring that someone had done, and cutting a bit of the fiberglass so that the panel would go back in more smoothly made sense, and...

...I think those of you who have the boat bug will know exactly how all that went. :smile::smile::smile:

Anyway: I've got a couple of decades of living aboard a sailboat under my belt, and a whole lot of sea time (Caribbean and the Atlantic, with some Pacific in there as well), but very little experience with gas-powered boats - and none whatsoever with jet boats. Looking forward to learning a whole lot here, and to meeting some of you good folks along the way!

Ben
--
Illi robur et aes triplex circa pectus erat, qui fragilem truci commisit pelago ratem primus ("As hard as oak and three times bronze was the heart of him who first committed a fragile vessel to the keeping of wild waves.") -- Horace

A ship in the harbor is safe... but that's not what ships were made for.

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just stay away from my posts, you won't want to own a boat after reading them!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eye sailor welcome to the life of fuel sucking power boats.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Oh boy, what made you come over to the stinkpotters?  :)  What boat do you have?

Welcome to the forum!  Sounds like you may have some good interesting boat stories.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• bluewatersailorbluewatersailor Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Thanks for the welcome, all!

@J3ff - heck, man, I've not only heard the horror stories before, I've lived way too many of them! Bring'em on; I'll bet you I can top'em. :)

@shawnmjr - An itsy-bitsy, teenie-weenie Rocket; 15 feet of cute with a 120HP of mean in its tail. Really looking forward to messing about in it (today was a heavy-duty make-and-mend day, fixing all the bits that had to be fixed; tomorrow, the water!)

@Dream_Inn That's a religious war I've always stayed out of. :) In fact, the best thing I've heard about it was from a captain of a Russian research vessel I met in Bermuda; he and I and a visiting former captain of that vessel were drinking together, and he pointed to me and said "that guy goes out there and faces the same ocean we do. You can't help but respect that." And - oh, yeah. 20-plus years of ocean sailing will definitely leave you with a whole lot of stories... some of them, only other seamen can believe - or even think of as possible.

(Annapolis, unsurprisingly, is one of my favorite towns; I lived in Mayo for a couple of years, and bought my first cruising boat there.)

A ship in the harbor is safe... but that's not what ships were made for.

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Welcome to the RBOC and good luck with your new power boat........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    o wait wait....handy impersonation= does it have a   teenie-weenie diesel..... :#