Options

Coast Guard issues warning after incidents between freighters, small boats

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭

Boaters beware, the United States Coast Guard isn't playing around when it comes to reckless driving in no wake zones.

Prompted by a string of incidents in which smaller vessels have failed to follow boating laws, officials issued a warning on Wednesday reminding operators of the consequences.

Simply put, operating a vessel negligently can cost you up to $6,559 for a recreational vessel or up to $32,796 for any other type of vessel.

Full article at:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/coast_guard_issues_warning_aft.html

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    All well and good if there were actual patrols where we are.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    All well and good if there were actual patrols where we are.
    I agree, if all cuts go through it may be the wild west out in open waters  :#

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/08/11/potential-coast-guard-budget-cuts-could-affect-emergency.html
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We have CG and Sheriff and Michigan DNR.  And once in a great while we see Michigan State Police Marine Division and DHS/CBP.  There are also Coast Guard Auxiliary patrols but they don't have any law enforcement authority.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have Coast Guard and sheriff marine patrols.  All the harbors near me in W. Michigan have commercial traffic in them, usually freighters with coal or aggregate loads.  The tools who squeeze between them and channel walls is amazing, let alone cut in front or close by.  The prop wash as a freighter can pull you right under.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only CG we see is river management vessels, work boat's for dam's, and navigation. Maybe 2 times a year we'll see a game warden.  DNR once a season, So hot rod's and wake maker's are free to Rome.  Good for you that have it.  We have tremendous barge traffic, The Dam across the street form my house lock's over 400 time's in a month. About 5000 lock-ages per year.  The most on the Ohio, 2 to 5th in the nation. depending on the year.  
    Even though they travel at 6-8 mph, it takes more than a mile for them to stop. It's scary sometime's I'll see a boat pulling a skier, or tube cut right in front of them, and the captain lays on the horn. No respect.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here in fl for the most part\ just to much water son places are just the wild wild west! Others, if you fart they right a ticket...