Options

Finally, no water in the bilge!!!

rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭

Been on the lake for a little over a month now and for the first time since I have owned my boat (about 5 years), I finally have a dry bilge.  I went looking for the old forum web site which is apparently no longer around as I wanted to thank everyone for the help they had given me over the years.  I see some of same names here, so thank you all.  Particularly alswagg, if he is on this new site.  I hope he is, he is a wealth of information.

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

Comments

• Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Hey @rinker312...glad to have you here. And, yes, you'll see @alswagg prowling around on a regular basis, dishing out excellent advice.
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what was the original issue and what ended up being the fix? 

Is lake wheeler in Decatur/Huntsville? We have family up that way. Beautiful country up in the hills.

Welcome back, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Welcome back 312!  Definitely follow up with your fix so we all can keep learning! :-c

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Welcome back 312......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options

yes, Wheeler flows through that area, although we are on the other side near Athens/Rogersville.  We really enjoy it there and it is not crowded, like having the lake all to yourself most of the time.

Ultimately my problem was the swivel shaft seal, was barely anything left of them.  I used the JR marine kit to remove the gimbal ring.  Kit worked great, but actually getting the shafts to come out was not fun as everything was all corroded up.  Strangely enough my gimbal rings did not need any repair, but the steering connectors were loose, which caused play in my drives.  But after all sorts of new parts, all is working well, no water, no play in the steering and I also added an exterior tie bar from eddie marine.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the help. 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the tie bar do much for a cruiser? I know on HP boats they use them. I was told overkill otherwise for mine

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

I cannot really say that my boat is performing any better.  If it is, it is too little for me to notice.  I had read somewhere that the exterior tie bar would help reduce wear on the gimbal rings, so I figure between the upgraded stainless swivel shaft and ubolt, and the tie bar, I hopefully will not run into gimbal ring wear problems any time soon.

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gimbel ring seals and steering pin are overdue for attn. Glad you found your fix and thanks for posting. We've been on the Tenn river out that way and you're right, I don't think we saw another boat all day. Great spot. Have a good season. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl