Options

Any Tampa people?

JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
So I'm going for a long weekend in December for some R&R and was wondering if there was any suggestions for beaches or water sports in the area. 

Maybe rent a kayak for a day that's nice? I need to work on my tan, it's been 3 weeks since I've seen the sun.  :D
2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe- you are going to the best part of Fl. for the most part! Handy will chime in I'm sure....the beaches up there are nice- Clearwater etc. but can be very crowded. If you go to south of Tampa Bay, the beaches along there like Siesta in particular are beautiful white sand beaches without a lot of crowds. Clearwater is the tourist trap beaches for sure....used to not be but to much for me any more...south is where it's at, more the local type places.....depends on what your looking for!
  • Options
    Well I'm not planning on renting a car, so I'll be ubering if that matters. I want at least one or two days at the beach, so any suggestions are welcome. I'd rather have the local flavor than tourist trap.

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Siesta Key Beach is one of the top rated beaches anywhere. Kayaking through the mangrove tunnels on Lido Key is awesome. Both about an hour south of Tampa - Clear Water - St Pete tho.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crystal river great clear water and manatees. St Pete beach for party time
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may also want to wait till they catch that serial killer too
  • Options
    Dude, I'm from Detroit. There's more serial killers up here than people in Tampa Bay. Lol
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Go on google earth and look at the beaches south of Tampa bay- Anna Maria island is the first which is the Richie rich section- further south is real nice- further you go the more remote it gets.
  • Options
    I did not think south was a bad word!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will for right in at johns pass. For more local flavor stay south like others say. Siesta key beach. Pic was monday.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I think there is a sand bar there up from the pass....great area
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nice down there. Love the white sandy beaches. Sea breeze. handy's joke's. 

@JoeStang is from the quite little Detroit. They only saw 303 murders in 2016. According to the FBI's 2016 Uniform Crime report,  13,705 violent crimes — including murders, rapes, assaults and robberies — were reported in Detroit last year.  That's a 15.7% increase from the year before, which saw 11,346 violent crimes in Detroit.
    So peaceful in motor city. It's Just a little less than one murder per day.

Boat Name : 

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    siesta key is in sarasota @ least a hour south from tampa
    if you can fly into st pete ...easier smaller...cant go wrong clearwater-st pete beach-vinoy park area
    ft de sota state park is a great area=dog beach=rent bikes=rent kayaks=camping
    @joestang....be warned it can be cold /cool that time of year
    also if weather is bad...a good indoor sporting club= mons venus

Post edited by trip_n on
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/5aP2RzLNlbw
    My grand daughter and I where debuting about bringing animals to school 

• Options
    edited November 2017
    My wife (Renee) usually  takes over when it comes to the music. We use slacker, coffee house, acoustic cafe, rock, and everything else. Stream on a RF blue tooth in 12v plug down stairs reaches the whole boat except the swim platform. Phone is arm length away, also use the volume on the phone to control the bumps. The louder the it is the more the hips move, I like that part. 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
     tiscut  tascut
    @reneechris14 ====riviera  paradise my fave

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    First time I flew down there we went over Tampa Bay and I could see an island with boats beached on it.  Reminded me of Gull Island here in LSC.  I'm sure you'll find lots of boating options in the bay.

While you're there, drive down Gulf Blvd to John's Pass.  I think that's either Reddington or Mederia Beach.  They have a restaurant there called the Friendly Fisherman.  Great seafood there.  North of there on Gulf Blvd is a tiny little place called Dockside Dave's.  Dosen't look like much on the outside (or inside) but they have some really good Grouper.

Have fun!

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    bluewatersailorbluewatersailor Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    My wife (Renee) usually  takes over when it comes to the music. We use slacker, coffee house, acoustic cafe, rock, and everything else. Stream on a RF blue tooth in 12v plug down stairs reaches the whole boat except the swim platform. Phone is arm length away, also use the volume on the phone to control the bumps. The louder the it is the more the hips move, I like that part. 
    Speaking of making the hips move - I've just gotta point out one of my fave SRV moments. Ain't nothin' but a sound check...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBmQwLSlDw

A ship in the harbor is safe... but that's not what ships were made for.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    South of John's Pass, on Treasure Island, you will find a boat rental shop, next to a place called Super Scoops (side note, they serve the best ice cream in the area). For $200 you get to navigate a boat through the intercostal waters for the entire afternoon. Trust me, it's fun. You can take a 45 minute ride out to Shell Island.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will 2nd what @MarkB says. Have used that one and also Island Marine Rentals in Indian Shores. Both were good. Boats have GPS and channels are well marked. Check the boat carefully when you rent though. We had one once that the stereo didn't work. No biggie, but tunes would have been nice as we cruised the intra-coastal.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    They are marked and you better stay in them! I have been over there at low tide and passed by birds standing on either side of the channel it was so shallow- out of the channel in many areas there is just no water. You'll see someone that knows the area buzzing across the bay- you try it and you might be sitting high and dry!
  • Options

And take a picture of the prop before you leave, so they don't blame you for any damage you did not do.

Funny story though, I was out by Shell Island coming back and the worst fog I've seen came in, it went from hot and sunny to you couldn't see 10 ft in front of you in about 20 minutes. I had to get back before the rental place closed, with a good 45 minute trip in front of me on a good day. No compass or gps on the boat. At first we were like, we're done. Then my son took out his iPhone and turned on the compass. I found one marker, and then took a bearing to reach the next, all about 1/4 mile apart. Took about 3 hours to get back, and never grounded the boat. The guys smiled at me when we got back and couldn't believe I didn't ground the boat, and said, that proves it ... if you could do it in the fog, no one has an excuse for beaching our boats. LOL.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    You will for right in at johns pass. For more local flavor stay south like others say. Siesta key beach. Pic was monday.

That def looks like my kinda place. I'm looking at some Airbnb's by in Clearwater now, instead of Tampa, so that'd be a closer drive it looks like.
    Stodge said:
    First time I flew down there we went over Tampa Bay and I could see an island with boats beached on it.  Reminded me of Gull Island here in LSC.  I'm sure you'll find lots of boating options in the bay.

While you're there, drive down Gulf Blvd to John's Pass.  I think that's either Reddington or Mederia Beach.  They have a restaurant there called the Friendly Fisherman.  Great seafood there.  North of there on Gulf Blvd is a tiny little place called Dockside Dave's.  Dosen't look like much on the outside (or inside) but they have some really good Grouper.

Have fun!

Thanks for the food suggestions and boating spots, very much appreciated. Love me some seafood, and I'll be eating lots of it that weekend I'm sure.

Unless something major changes in the next couple weeks I'm not going to rent any boats or anything like that. The most I'd do is kayak in some scenic area. I'm going by myself (right now), so it'll be mostly time on the beach, pool, and cool local spots.

I do have a possible line on an Airbnb for a sailboat in a marina that would be kinda cool, instead of a standard hotel. It'd save me some money too. Plus, I can tell the "locals" I'm sleeping on "my" boat tonight. :D
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They arrested the killer today!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod

If you are into good ice cream, I'd highly recommend the Dairy Kurl, which is in Clearwater on the drive between the bay and gulf. 

Staying on a boat would be pretty nice!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Keep on coming with the Clearwater suggestions, most likely I'll be in the Pier 60 area the majority of the time. 
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    They arrested the killer today!
    Glad to hear, roo many friggin crazies out there
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Frenchie's Rockaway Grill.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JoeStang if you are going to be primarily hanging out in the main part of Clearwater Beach, here are some suggestions. Been visiting that area for almost 30 years, and for many years stayed in Clearwater Beach exclusively. Last time for us though was about 5 years ago. But we still try and visit at least one afternoon every year when in the area. Personally, I hate what Clearwater Beach has become as far as all the huge condo's and hotels that have gone up, but...I'm also starting to become a cranky old guy. Younger fellow like you that appreciates the ladies and the night life will have a blast. In no particular order, here's some ideas.

The Bait House - Love this place and attempt to stop in every year. Located right next to the bridge coming on to Clearwater Beach, access by walking down the pier past all the charter boats in the Marina including the giant Starlight Majesty.
    As the name implies, the Bait House is still an active fishing supply and bait place, but by walking through to the back you'll find a neat little bar and grill with a bar that seats about 6 and another 8 or 10 tables on a dock overlooking the intra-coastal waterway. Many do come by boat. Great place for a cold beer and snack in the afternoon. Try the smoked fish spread, fantastic. If you're there when the Starlight Majesty comes back from a lunch cruise, it'll blow your mind as you're sitting there and this huge ship comes straight at you, and then at the last minute reverses and tucks neatly into its' slip.

If you want to try deep water fishing try Captain Greg Corder on the fishing boat "Two C's" located at the marina by the Bait House. Older boat but clean and well run. Captain is an interesting character and rates are reasonable. If by yourself he will try and hook you into another group (usually takes 4 at at time).

I'll also back @Stodge's recommendation of Frenchy's Rockaway. There are several Frenchy's restaurants in the area, and although they can vary, generally they've all been pretty good.

Crabby Bills - Right at the marina also. More of a tourist trap now, used to be better before undergoing a huge expansion, but still a good bar atmosphere.

Cooters Restaurant and Bar - Located on a back street across from the Intra-Coastal towards "old" downtown Clearwater Beach. - good afternoon bar atmosphere, lot's of sports on TV. Oysters on the half shell usually available and price pretty good.

Bob Heilman's Beachcomber - Maybe not your thing, but we enjoyed it as a throw back to old time dinner with show. Picture Rat Pack era, with banquette seating on raised tiers facing a stage with usually a piano player singer. Very old school, but food quality good. If by yourself they might seat you with someone else at a banquette, but we've might some very interesting people over the years.

Sheppards Tiki Bar - Located in the original "big" hotel on Clearwater Beach, features a beach side patio bar.

Wave Nightclub at Sheppards - Probably more your thing. The biggest night club in Clearwater Beach. Absolutely a younger, rowdier crowd.

The Shipwreck - Dive bar by day, DJ at night. Where a lot of the locals hang out.

Pier 60 - Worth visiting. Daily live free shows at dusk. Acrobats, magicians, jugglers, musicians, pretty much any kind of busker you can think of on a rotating basis. Walking out on the pier is neat, if I remember correctly, you can go out so far for free, but once you hit the fishing shack/store they charge a few bucks a head to walk out to the end where there is also fishing offered. Can rent a rod at the shack.

Sea Screamer - Converted navy fast attack boat that now offers fast paced boat ride out on the gulf. Most come back soaked from the wake.

There are any number of places to also rent jet-ski's, kayaks, etc, a short web search will turn them up.

Finally, if you want a fairly cheap and easy way to get around, especially if you want to make some pub stops, check out the Jolley Trolley. Used to be free years ago, but now for a flat $5 you can get on and off all day long with frequent stops along the way, most located near either all the main tourist spots and bar areas/restaurants.
    You can even hook into the other SunCoast trolley that goes further down toward St. Pete beach. Not a quick way to get around because of the stops, but stress free and no hassle with driving and parking. Pass also good for the Pinellas transit service if you do end up staying in Clearwater itself.

Enjoy your visit! It can be a really fun place.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options

In Clearwater, if you want a great pizza for a great price, take a 10 minute drive to Bellair to Al and Stella's 1261 Gulf Blvd #110, Clearwater Beach - voted one of the best pizza places on many sites, and yet it's very down to earth.

For authentic Italian up that way, go to Cesare at the Beach,  794 S Gulfview Blvd, Clearwater Beach. Slightly more upmarket, but the food is excellent.

You won't be disappointed by either.

"Boat + Water = Fun"