Options

Question: Storing boat for winter-Bravo 3 specifically

I have my 270 on the trailer out on my in laws property for the winter. Whats the best way to protect the outdrive from water intrusion? I'm not sure if i can lower it low enough for any water that gets in to drain back out. Is wrapping it in a tarp my best option?

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never worried too much about it.  Make sure the bow is raised so any water runs out the bilge drain.  Lower the drive best you can and it should be fine.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    How would water get into the drive over the winter?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    How would water get into the drive over the winter?
    With the drive raised, water gets into the exhaust ports that are around the prop shaft and carrier bearing.

What I do is dump a bunch of -50 pink or -100 green RV antifreeze down in the exhaust ports in the drive. Better to have it there than to not have it there.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    You guys and winterizing lol
    always lower the drive to its lowest possible position. When I trailered I would dig a small hole around the siege and lower it to full trim down.
    not only is it good for your below sand rubber but no worry when it comes to water intrusion.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can put some pink antifreeze in the exhaust then put a black garbage bag around it and tape it up tight.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Never put anything over the drive
    leave it to the beaver and let it breath
    i had to replace  few output shafts because of ice build up
    just take the prop off and off u go
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaverin1 said:
    You guys and winterizing lol
    always lower the drive to its lowest possible position. When I trailered I would dig a small hole around the siege and lower it to full trim down.
    not only is it good for your below sand rubber but no worry when it comes to water intrusion.

I agree that the drive should be stored in the down position. Unfortunately, that isn't always possible. Where my boat is stored, I can't have it all the way down because it would be landed on concrete. I have the tongue of the trailer raised so water drains and runs off the cover. If I lower the tongue, there is a possibility of water sitting in the bilge. So I have lowered it 3/4 of the way, but before doing that, I dumped a bunch of pink in the drive.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Block the trailer up higher to take the weight off the tires and lower the drive down is the best way to store
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Block the trailer up higher to take the weight off the tires and lower the drive down is the best way to store
    I agree.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I have taped a bag on mine just below the cavitation plate (prop off). I then cut a small hole on the lowest point of the bag in case any water leaks in or gets trapped.