Al ask me to post this Prop Picture

BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
edited June 2013 in Rinker Sport Boat Forum
Here is a fine example of checking your hi performance prop blades very often. Cracks can cause serious damage.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn

Comments

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yahoo that wouldve been a trip.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Just Wow....

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surface drive it looks like. You would have to either x-ray or liquid dye penetrant check that well before it got to that point. That assumes it was not a raw material problem.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Al will chime in later he didn't know how to post a picture here yet guess he's so busy this time of year we are very lucky to have him here most people with his knowledge keep it to their self until you open your wallet. Thanks Al and Happy Fathers Day

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting angle of entry. Nearly 90* to the actual mounted location on the prop. 

When those go fast boats come unglued it's usually pretty dramatic....My RV of a boat is a little more sedate topping out at 30-somthing ;) Yeah, Al is a great guy to chime in when it gets complicated, especially considering the depth he has in the industry. Everyone who has a solution that they share here is likewise appreciated too. Have a great boating and fathers day weekend.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can see where it made entry and drug... what did it strike to allow such a snap? steel runner?  I can't imagine it would launch straight up like that in the drink, as the drag would surely have knocked it off course, right? that is, like Tiki said, at or nearing 90*...
  • BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    OMG what a mess.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    The blade on the top left appears to be bent the wrong way. Like it was in reverse and hit the broken blade to fold it over... is it just me or does that look odd...
  • bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Al I can only imagine what you see on a daily basis.  Thanks for keeping us out of as much possible problems as possible.  Can you elaborate on the problem here.  Did they strike something previously? Were they running when it happened?  Holy ***** how do I prevent it?