Options

Dash Remodel - New Idea?

Send_MeSend_Me Member Posts: 9
edited November 2017 in Rinker Custom Projects
I've been in the process of replacing my old gauges with new ones.  As we all know the old Faria gauges were an odd size so I need to make a filler plate out of starboard.  The filler was still just a little small so I wrapped it in some thin line I had below deck.  My plan was to cover the faded dash with carbon fiber  wrap but in the  process of prepping the dash I noticed how good it looked when wet from the mineral spirits I was cleaning it with, "if it only looked that good when dry I said to myself".  Well after the light-bulb went off in my pee size brain I decided to try a couple different things knowing I still had the wrap as a back-up.  I ended up cleaning the dash very lightly with some Acetone, I cannot stress how lightly this must be done to remove the oxidation.  You'll notice a couple black spots in the picture where the acetone completely remove the wood appearance.  After it dried I applied about 5 light coats of spray lacquer.  I rally can't believe how good it came out and couldn't wait to share this with all you Rinker fans.  I also just had the  boat waxed, details and new stripes applied.  Now she's ready for a cruise down the Florida West coast for the Holidays!. 
Happy Thanks Giving everyone.  

PS: Still need to install a new compass and sync gauges.

Comments