Options

Considerations when buying an '08 320?

Hey all,

New to the forum so hello!

I've been a Rinker fan for a little while now, and been searching for my dream boat for the past couple years. I've finally come across one for sale...and realized that I should probably check in with you guys about things to consider/ask before purchasing.

I'm looking at buying a 2008 Rinker 320, comes with all the options including a generator. Volvo DP drives. Can anyone suggest things I should be taking a look at or if there's any known common issues with this vessel?

Thank you!!

Dan

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about common issues, but a survey is a good place to start.  Attend the inspection if you can.  I learned at lot attending the survey on our 342.

Good luck!

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    There were issues with the Volvo DP drives.
  • Options
    WildstyleWildstyle Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    @Glassguy54 any chance you'd have more info on that? Or somewhere I could find it
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you getting a survey done? There aren't any generic issues, it's all about how well the boat's been taken care of, for instance:

- has it ever been hit, in an accident, etc.

- has every system gone through the correct seasonal maintenance (ask for records)

- is there any concerning wear and tear issues (wiring, leaks, canvas, etc).

A good surveyor will help you find problems with the hull, fiberglass, gelcoat.

Open up compartments and look for the tell tail signs of leaks (stains, grime, etc).

Test every system and see if they work (aircon on cold and hot, radio, VHF, lights, shore power on starboard and port, generator, charger, fridges, stove, microwave, drive trim and steering, GPS, gauges, etc).

What options does it come with?

What accessories does it come with (tools, chairs, tables, safety gear, etc).

With an 08 boat, I'd expect that some things might not be up to scratch, but there shouldn't be any structural problems, more things that can be easily repaired. If you know what needs to be fixed and add that cost to the asking price ... ensure it's worth it.  And make sure you have time/patience to fix things.

If you want turnkey ... then make sure it's turnkey, which gets harder to find the older the boat gets.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

If the drives are the plastic XDP drives you should probably walk away, or negotiate down around $16-$20k for replacements of drives, transom, and gimbal housings.

If the drives are the standard DuoProp design you are fine; they are bullet proof and more preferred by me than the Merc Bravo 3. 

Good luck!

• Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    exactly what RustyS said.  Pass on the XDPs unless you are getting a steal.  otherwise, the volvo drives are very good.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the Volvo XDP drive comments but that should not be a problem here. I believe that by 2008 they were done and the 2008 drives should actually be the good ones! Good luck. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an FYI. Volvo will sell you new drives at cost if those are the old bad ones. 
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I failed to make the distinction between DP and XDP. Sorry.
  • Options
    DazeOffDazeOff Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    I failed to make the distinction between DP and XDP. Sorry.
    Dual prop (DP) are fine. It's the composite dual props that had the problems.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Welcome to the forum!  Besides checking on the drives, the 320 is a great boat!  I had the older version (02 310).  What engines does it have?  Are they fresh-water cooled or raw-water cooled (in other words, do the engines have closed cooling with a heat exchanger)?  I had the 5.0 MPI engines and never had any issues with that boat planning, even packed up for 10-day trips.  A boat that is almost 10 years old should be looked at in a bit more detail with things like hoses, seals, and risers/exhaust manifolds.  Also, items like canvas can cost you $2-3k for new if needing replaced.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    WildstyleWildstyle Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    They are the 5.7L Volvo Gi motors. 

I bought the boat! Thanks for your insights. Got a completely new canvas and hull wax/buff as part of the deal. I'm excited for the summer to get here!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Rinker family
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best day, nice boat.
    Boat Name :