Sea-Ray company being sold

13»

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,456 admin
    edited December 2017
    When I first got my 342 I had to learn the boat and learn how to dock it. Now its a breeze (no pun intended).Also my club is at the mouth of a river and a very strong current. I like having the extra speed and the better fuel economy.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I have twin screws now so not a biggie to step up besides adjustments to size 
  • bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Have to trim the fat
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    VERY scary article today in BoatTest.com about the predicted cost of "trade wars" on boat builders. The best overall article I have ever read on what has happened over the past few decades and what may happen now. Not for the faint of heart. There could be more closures.

Anyone who has a boat right now looks SMART! IMO new boats are going to increase in price - a lot, there will be fewer brands to choose from and the cost of used boats will jump - a lot. There will be a premium for quality well maintained boats. Most of you guys with your Rinkers will be laughing.

I was told by a friend who sells boats that in short time my Yamaha Waverunner will cost 10% more base price - and in Ontario there will be a 13%  tax on the value of that 10%. So, in my case that would mean an added cost to the Yamaha I just purchased of  Canadian $2,825.00 or about US $1.836.25   Geez! 
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO SeaRay had priced themselves out of competition years ago.  Can't stay in business on reputation alone.   

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the same article @Michael T mentioned. And if anybody doesn't think that Europe isn't a huge market for American made leisure and recreational goods they'd be wrong. Tariff wars are never good for anybody. There was another article yesterday about how "American Icon" Harley Davidson is moving a good chunk of production overseas to avoid the counter tariff imposed by the EU in response to the latest shenanigans in Washington.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Harley had already planned that move
    There was mention that they were already considering it because of the US pulling out of the Trans Pacific agreement, thereby causing a huge tariff to their imports to Asia which is another huge market. Without researching I can't say with confidence that the export market for Harley rivals domestic sales, but I'd bet a cold beer that it's a huge chunk of their business these days. Notice I said "US", not Trump specifically. It doesn't really matter anyone's political stripe, the reality is that the world economy of which the US is the largest is inextricably intertwined and what hurts one, hurts everyone. The steel industry is a good example. Yes, the Chinese are/were certainly dumping cheap crappy steel in North America at below market prices, and this needs to be addressed. But shutting down steel imports isn't going to bring back all those steel mills in the rust belt that were closed down years ago and have fallen into the ground so far that in order to re-build them will take years and likely huge government subsidies. Hang on to your tax bill.
    As the Springsteen song says "those jobs are gone and they ain't ever comin' back!"
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GOOD NEWS - Brunswick just announced that it will keep Sea Ray open for business. It will have a different line-up as it looks like they will be phasing-out the big models but at least some jobs should be saved. I hope this works.
    Ye they will concentrate on 20-40 ft market 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    zaverin1 said:
    Ye they will concentrate on 20-40 ft market 

Truly what they should've stuck with in the first place.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Ye the last 10 years or so they tried to push 40 plus yachts 
    get back to open bows
    center consoles and decent mid 30s that make sense 
    I think rays are easy to work on lol
    Al
    i am sure you know rinkers inside out 

I mean anytime you work with a aft facing engine it’s a pita
    i don’t care if it’s a ray or four winns
    Sometimes trying to replace raw water pumps or belts could be a nightmare 

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Tariffs are only for new boats right?
    Correct. As others have said, will likely result in higher prices for good used boats also as people move away from the new market. Hurts the manufacturer's though.
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Hurts mostly blue collar workers who will be laid off while builders struggle to survive.
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Not to get too off tangent, but yes it'll hurt short term. But maybe American's will buy American made boats more. Keep the manufacturing here, and long term it will benefit us.

For example, I'm an Arctic Cat guy. Most snowmobiles are sold by Ski Doo. Bombardier / BRP is Canadian, and it will be very difficult to sell the same power/size sled for a 10-20% premium, regardless of your brand loyalty. Arctic Cat can sell for less, more people buy them, more American workers are hired to manufacturer them. More dealers switch to make more sales, etc. Yes, it hurts the Ski Doo dealers, repair shops, etc short term. But maybe BRP starts building them here eventually.

I'm not an economist, but its been a long time overdue that we start to look at helping ourselves before the rest of the world. I'd rather rebuild our blue collar jobs 5% than do nothing different, and just keep sending skilled trades overseas, for inferior quality.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
    edited June 2018
    Joe
    i don’t know what you do for a living but it’s obviously not manufacturing.
    Europe, Japan and USA  all share technology and test together.
    problem now is they can’t divide up the research investment thru profit.
     Thats just the tip of the ice berg and it also comes from a guy that designed half of your 8 and 9 speed zf transmission.
    oh wait zf is German and Chrysler uses the same trans branded under Chrysler aka Fca