Options

Personal opinion or political comment removed.

2»

Comments

• Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@aero3113 , I don't have Skisafe, I went through Geico Marine 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gack said:

@aero3113 , I don't have Skisafe, I went through Geico Marine 

Strange, when I was shopping for Insurance I called GEICO and they signed me up with Skisafe?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like going through global, if we pay it all for the year- 500 bucks!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    rasbury said:
    Looks like going through global, if we pay it all for the year- 500 bucks!

Yep!  I'm telling you, they are fantastic!!  I wish I got commission from them.  I've had several people on my pier switch to them after they saw the service I received from them.  Then tell them my cost.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I normally get insurance quotes in February at the boat show. But I made a quote request to Global and I'm curious to see what they come back with.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be doing the same thing in about 10 days at the Toronto Boat Show. I print off a little info sheet that I just drop off so it doesn't take any time at the show.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    edited January 2018
    @Dream_Inn - Global just sent me a quote through Chubb for $1088/year at an agreed value of $125k.  That's 50% more than what you mentioned.  I wonder why so much?

Still, it's cheaper than what I'm now paying through State Farm, and the coverage is better.  
  • Options
    @LaRea - Interesting that yours would be that much higher or higher at all.  Not sure what the differences might be (mine is lift kept - not sure that would matter, I've had a boat insured for the last 18 years - I'd think you are up there too).  I'm trying to remember off-hand my deductible, but that may also be some of the difference (I may be at 2%).  But, if it's cheaper than what you have with better coverage....& I will definitely say they are really great to deal with (believe me, I had two large claims that really didn't take much time to get settled)...then it's a no-brainer.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My issue was finding a company that would cover the lift. Not many at all will cover the lift or dock. 
  • Options
    My issue was finding a company that would cover the lift. Not many at all will cover the lift or dock. 

I'm surprised homeowners insurance wouldn't cover that.  I'll have to ask my Dad what he used to do in Cape Coral.

• Options
    @Dream_Inn can you provide a phone number for Global? I will give them a call. 
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn can you provide a phone number for Global? I will give them a call. 

Number I have is 800-748-0224image.  They are also under globalmarineinsurance.com

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:

I'm surprised homeowners insurance wouldn't cover that.  I'll have to ask my Dad what he used to do in Cape Coral.
    No Homeowners will cover a dock or lift. If you hear of one let me know
  • Options
    Still waiting to hear from Global.  They asked follow up questions following my on-line quote request but haven't sent an actual quote yet.

• Options
    I called them yesterday and they said they would have to call back. 
  • Options
    They're probably wondering why all these Rinker owners are calling! :)

• Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Make sure you get a discount for taking a coast guard boating  safety course. It's quite a good % off insurance premiums with boat U.S.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Handy my insurance is through United Marine Underwriters.  When i looked two years ago they beat Geico, Towboat US and a few others hands down.  I was pressed for time and didn't do an exhaustive search but i have been happy.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Still waiting on a call
  • Options
    Got an email today from Global.  It's about 25% higher than what I pay now to Geico.  Guess I'll be staying put.

• Options
    Still waiting on my call back. 
  • Options
    Stodge said:
    Got an email today from Global.  It's about 25% higher than what I pay now to Geico.  Guess I'll be staying put.

Wow!  Just goes to show each person needs to check around.  My dock neighbor switched from Geico to Global with a much lower rate.  It's crazy how much it can vary for each person!

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The high rates might have to do with the hurricanes this past summer. Usually rates go up after major storms, more so for new customers verses existing customers.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Well Global never called me back. Terrible service. 
  • Options

They must just not like you or don't know how to handle a 342 with diesels:) .  I've had nothing but the best service from them.  But, it's why there are so many different ones out there.  Plenty for you to choose from.

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:

They must just not like you or don't know how to handle a 342 with diesels:) .  I've had nothing but the best service from them.  But, it's why there are so many different ones out there.  Plenty for you to choose from.
    I never told them any details. I called at 4 and the guy said he was all alone and he would have to call back. 
  • Options
    gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    You need to check every year as many of the larger boat policies are underwritten by other companies and liability rates will fluctuate monthly. Same thing with umbrella policies, insurance company A will take the first million and sub out any additional to another company.  Handy, if they don't even call to quote there is a good chance a claim will be worse! 
  • Options
    @gtyee - I do tend to agree, but there is always that one person you call that screws it all up. I've had two significant claims with global (probably larger than anyone on this forum unfortunately), but they treated me like gold! Put it this way, several people on my dock asked who I had for insurance because how well I was treated. Not the typical dock talk...

• Options
    gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn that is also true, get a lazy adjuster and its all different story. I deal with insurance adjusters all day at my body shop and some just don't care at all which is sad for the customer and makes the company look bad.