Options

How long should stereo speakers last in the cockpit?

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
In 2015, I invested in three sets of Sony XS-MP1621 marine speakers for the cockpit.  At $129/pair, they are not the most expensive speakers on the market, but definitely not the cheapest, and they sounded great.  However, after only 2-1/2 seasons, the cones are all disintegrating and they sound like crap.  Should I be angry?  Or do all marine speakers dissolve after two seasons?

My speakers live a pampered life.  I'm on a fresh-water river.  The cockpit is fully enclosed all year.  The speakers are never exposed to water, direct sunlight or Florida-like temperatures.  Is Sony's quality really that bad?

Now that I think about it, I bought the same speakers for my previous boat, and the same thing happened.  Shame on me for repeating my mistake.  I guess I got fooled into thinking that Sony only makes high-quality stuff.  

Comments

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Mistake 
    number one
    sony is not any good
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right, my 2 Kenwoods in the arch are originial
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod

I'll say, I've seen the cheap (I mean cheap - on my 310 I paid $10/pair on clearance that weren't too bad) last longer than the more expensive brands.  I've learned not too spend too much on speakers just because of the environment they live in.  My Clarions are original and one or two are rotting out.  I've been watching the alpine topic and may just buy a pair of them.  If I were you, I'd go with them at half the price you paid and see what you think.  They've gotta last at least 2-3 years as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Clarions were shot when I bought my boat in 2014. They had 6 seasons on them since the boat was built in 2007. So far, my Alpines are holding up well. I just added a 5 channel Clarion micro amp and a 8" JLAudio sub for some extra bass. I like how everything has turned out. You should get more than 2 1/2 years out of a set.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    I think it varies from brand to brand and the materials used.  I have pulled many of the old Clarion marine speakers that @Cableguy Greg is talking about in the above post out of boats and the cones completely rotted out and detached from the speaker.  Luckily, technology has come along way and most are using better materials now.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get yourself speakers from a hot tub manufacturer. They will likely last a lot longer.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I bought the Sony product based on performance specs, and they did sound good.  Unfortunately, the cost of ownership was $20/month.  Three pairs = $400, and the lasted 20 months.  

I'd hate to guess how long they would last in a bow-rider exposed to salt, sun and heat.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I think JL are great. Yeah you're paying a price but I have been looking at a lot of boats from saltwater areas and 90% all have JL sound systems in them. You won't be disappointed
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    @jme097, are you still looking for a bigger boat? Someone just posted an 07 320EC on Facebook that is near you.

http://temptationyachtsales.com/boat-details/?BoatID=6327278
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg haha I saw that! I just can't do the red LOL. I have actually been looking at a couple 310 Sundancers lately. I know, the darkside. Nothing serious though. Just browsing. But if I can get the right deal who knows
  • Options
    I am not a red fan either. My late father loved red boats, but the upkeep is worse than my blue boat. You could always wrap the red with a different color. I know of a 310/312 that's for sale down here, but the listing is pulled for the winter. I believe it was an 05. There is 342 that is also for sale, but the same thing, the ad was pulled for the winter. I have driven by that one a few times and the owner is looking to unload it since he has a second 37' boat in his yard. Ads will be picking up here in the next month. I will keep an eye out for you.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jme097 there's a 2006 320 in Detroit CL low hours under 200, just keeping you on the right side. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @Cableguy Greg LOL can't do the red! Yeah right now I am just browsing because its January so its slow. I will start to get serious late February/early March and decide if I am for real going to pull the trigger or not. Need to offload my 280 first. If you know anyone looking for a clean (with lots of upgrades) 280 with  trailer let me know!

@randy56 hahaha. I am looking at Rinkers, Sea Rays, Four Winns, etc. Just browsing right now nothing serious. If I am going to upgrade its going to be something a little newer. I'd like DTS among other things. 
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    I own a tech company and have been in the audio business for over 30 years now.  I would say that $129 is on the lower end as far as price point and not to have very high expectations.  So the manufacturer generally will need 50 points of margin to the dealer to be profitable.  The dealer will also mark up to msrp which will put their margin at a 40-50 points of profit in order to make a small net profit.  So cost to manufacture on that pair of speakers is going to be around $30.00.  I sell the JL Audio brand and have these in my boat.  With this speaker brand i expect to get 10 plus years of life without abuse at $400.  Oh and specifications are mostly worthless on a speaker.  really tells you very little. 
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    Can you please explain the ohm ratings on speakers
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Yes.  the impedance or ohm specification is similar to what demand the speaker places on the amplifier.  So.... for example.  clock radio in your house will draw a very small amount of current (amps).  Where as a space heater will use much more power and draws alot of current(amps).  similar with a speaker.  8 ohm load is larger which means more resistance to current draw than a 4 ohm load.  8 is easier for an amplifier. 

there are a lot of factors here and it gets more complicated.   some amplifiers are capable of higher current draw and some are not.  Generally when you see higher performance and higher sound pressure level output systems, you see lower impedance speakers and higher current output (dynamic headroom) amplfiers.

then there is volume.  just because it has an 11 on the knob does not mean the system is truly capable of full output.  most are not.  most blown or damaged speakers are caused by abuse.  Volume being turned up too high.

When you turn up the volume on a system, at some point the amplifier runs out of power.  So think of it as WOT.  Just  because you  push throttle all the way open at some point you can be limited by, lets say fuel deliver to the motors.
    When this happens on a motor, it leans out and can damage the motor. 
    Same with stereo.  when the system runs out of power you get distortion.  This is what damages speakers in most cases.  

2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice explanation thanks for that. Oh did you say turn that up?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    My four JL 7.7's I have them on a 8 channel JL amp bridged. 200 amps per channel and they sound amazing. Crystal clear high's and they throw the sound great
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Okay, so for three pairs of speakers:
    Sony, $400 / 30 months = $13/month
    JL, $1200 / 120 months = $10/month  

Ergo, it would be irresponsible of me not to spend $1200 on speakers.  At least, that's how I'll explain it to the Finance Committee.  
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep an eye out on the Amazon Warehouse Deals. Last spring I replaced all 6 of my cockpit speakers with Clarion Marine speakers. List was around $120 a pair but these were damaged box, missing manual or missing screws for $20 - $25 a pair delivered. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    check out the infiniti 612s.  I bought 4 sets and installed them in my 310 4 years ago and have been very happy.  They sound great and didn't cost much at all.  I believe I got them under $100 per pair on amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-612m-High-Performance-Loudspeaker/dp/B076KV1RNJ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1517234646&sr=8-9&keywords=infiniti+612&th=1

• Options
    I went with Wet Sounds speakers.  And of course, I got totally carried away with it, and basically replaced the entire entertainment system.  I'll post a separate thread on this huge project.

Here is one of the Sony speakers - and remember, this is after only 2.5 seasons with no exposure to sun, salt or weather.  

• Options
    Wow!!! That is how my Clarions looked after 7 seasons. My Alpines still look new after 4 seasons. I can't wait to see what your new system looks like. I am sure it will sound much better.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm running the higher end Alpine's, and love them. I have tried many brands over the years.  The JL's are great as well. I LOVE JL amplifiers!  
    The wetsounds you purchased are going to take anything you can throw at em...
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I'm impressed with the build quality.  They are definitely in a different class from Sony.  I should have them hooked up by this weekend for my first taste of the sound quality.  I got six REVO-6, a REVO-10 sub, and the HTX-6 amp.  Can't wait to hear them.  
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ye Sony is junk
    i run pioneer which is good but not even close to jl 
    alpine
    or wet sounds 
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    LaRea, you will love the Wetsounds. I love mine.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .......late to this topic but @LaRea "How long should cockpit speakers last?.....Do you have teenagers, nieces, nephews........Oh Man!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....@JonnyM.......EVERYONE loves "Wetsounds".......sorry about that - I just couldn't help myself. I get into more trouble that way!