Microwave/coffee maker combo

Two questions. For anyone that has the microwave/coffee maker combo, does your breaker trip when you run your microwave more than a few minutes?  Not sure what's causing that.  Also, has anyone swapped out the combo for a convection microwave or different microwave without the coffee maker?

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's tripping the breaker that controls only the microwave, you have a problem.  It should never trip in normal use.  Could be a faulty microwave or a failing breaker.  How old is the microwave?  Does it sound any louder than a typical microwave?  Does it heat foods normally?  

The best thing to do would be to measure the current drawn by the microwave.  

Welcome to the forum -- nice boat!
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @LaRea, shouldn't trip. Even though we have separate micro and coffee maker there's no valid reason for it to trip after a period of time unless the breaker is wearing and has a hot spot causing over current after a few minutes and tripping. If you are skilled to do so, temporarily connect it to another breaker of the same rating and see if it trips also. If so, faulty unit, if not, possibly faulty breaker.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• RunnergirlRunnergirl Member Posts: 2
    The micro/coffee combo I'm sure is stock and the boat's a 2008.  I doesn't sound loud, I think it probably cooks a little hot..always burns the popcorn.  Ok, I'm having some things done while it's in storage, I'll get them to check the breaker.  Thanks!
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Probably the breaker 
    I had to replace my microwave breaker two seasons ago 
  • sandeka772sandeka772 Member Posts: 7
    We are faced with replacing our microwave in our 2009 360 EC.  Has anyone replaced it with a combo micro/convection oven or is that even possible given the heat produced by the convection oven?  
  • DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Runnergirl : Just in case you decide to switch out the combo unit, AND...you have no further use for the one you take out, I'd like to get my hands on the glass carafe if you would be interested in parting with it.  Thanks for any consideration you give to this offer. :-)
    Post edited by Dirtythirty on
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sandeka772. I have had a number of "household" microwave/convection ovens. I prefer Panasonic. In a household application you need to purchase a vent kit that draws air around the unit, from underneath across the back and out the top. Two inches all around is a minimum and there is a a lot of heat created. That said, I have seen a full-sized micro/convection unit in a boat (sea ray) - the owner had installed a small 12 volt fan to draw air around the unit that he switched on when using the convection feature - so installing one is definitely possible. I have to say I really like the microwave/convection combination. Please post pictures and specs if you proceed with this mod as I think it would be really interesting.