Options

CPAP use

I use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea and was wondering what others did while cruising.  I have heard that I should simply run the generator all night while others have suggested just running it off of the house batteries.  I have a 370, big step up from the Chaparral 285 we owned prior.  First time I’ve had to think about what to do while anchoring for a weekend.

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    I don't use a CPAP, but I saw some references online that it would use 30-40 amp-hours to run overnight.  Your house bank should handle it.  Before you go to sleep, run the genny long enough to get a good charge on the batteries.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does a 370 have an inverter?
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also use CPAP . I have both a 110v cord for when on shore power and a 12v converter that came with the unit and can run all night on my double set of house batteries no problem. Just can't use the humidifier on 12v.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Looks like you are nearby neighbors.  Welcome!  I'm in South River marina and my dock neighbor has CPAP and has a 420 Rinker.  I think he runs the genny thru most nights when on the hook.  May be worth coming down in early spring and chat.  We need to make sure to hook up with you this summer! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jdcstlbryjdcstlbry Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Sounds good, thanks for the info.  Will be nice get on the water, haven't even had the boat out except for the test ride.
  • Options
    I was looking at Turkey Point originally, didn't know if I would fit under the bridge though.  Really like that area, a little more protected than Liberty.
  • Options
    Yes, Ramsey bay is really protected and nice.  I like to use a raft around my boat while it's on the lift (for cleaning and maintenance) and it's calm enough in there for that.  I fit under the bridge most of the time, but at high tide I go out the back way.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Greaseman is in Turkey Point!
  • Options
    Actually, he is at Selby Bay marina.

• Options
    The back way?  I thought there was only one way in to Ramsey Bay, of course I haven't explored as much as I should.
  • Options
    Just looked at the charts, guess if you know the area and the tide you can get out through Ramsay Lake?  Looks like allot of obstructions though, guess that is where the experience/knowledge come in.
  • Options
    I went out the back way probably a dozen times or more last year.  I've gone out there with my dinghy and a pole to check depths, then put it on my chart.  Several of us use the same path, so that probably helps it stay clear as well.  Yes, local knowledge is a must, but it isn't difficult once you know.  Even those with inboards go thru it during high tide.