Options

Fun day on the water turned bad.

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in General Boating Discussions
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Not surprised that catastrophic failure occurred. That boat looked like the guy built it himself in his garage from Kenner's "My First Boat Kit".
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    The comments on youtube are interesting.  Several said to never use flares during the day.  Nonsense!  If you are sinking and you have flares, use them!  Sure, orange smoke would be better, and flares are more visible in darkness than daylight, but use what you have! 

If they had already called for help on VHF or cell phone, all the more reason to deploy flares. 

The other frequent comment was about the choice of music, which is why I rarely read comments on youtube.  
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Several said to never use flares during the day.  Nonsense!  If you are sinking and you have flares, use them!  Sure, orange smoke would be better, and flares are more visible in darkness than daylight, but use what you have! 
    I watched a CG presentation that stated orange smoke is best for day and night rescue - the particulate smoke itself retains heat and creates a long trail that lights up FLIR sensors against both the sea and the sky. Sea and airborne search efforts will be using FLIR at night for sure, but many times during the day as well - the cooler the water the more sensitive FLIR is to a single head bobbing at the surface.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭