Options

SandSpike Beach anchor

mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
Anybody used one of these - or similar? Opinions?

http://sandspike.com/

Currently, I use the windlass off the front & use a fold up anchor off the transom to get the stern in the right spot facing the beach. Fold up anchor works just - ok. Spike of sorts might be better in the shallow water. 
246BR, 276BR, H310BR current

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use something similar, home made 1/2 SS rod about 2.5 ft long with a t handle welded to the top. These store bought ones look fine.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks pretty nice. Better than tripping over an anchor. Now I just need to find a beach to anchor my boat at so I can get one.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Jesus, $60 for a simple metal stake????? You cruiser boys must have money  ;)

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Well, I agree it looks like just a little stake (& expensive, might as well get a nice anchor).  I guess as long as you are not really depending on it for much (if a storm comes up quick, you better pull out).  I've been anchored just last summer where two different times a storm came up really quick, and was glad once I had a huge stern anchor buried, yes buried using a shovel, deep in the sand.  The other time I had it just in water behind the boat (enough rode was out so I didn't have to use it on the beach, which is what I prefer because it will gradually dig deeper in).  3 of us larger boats swung on the stern.

I guess I'd say, just note, when wind changes, you may be holding your entire boat with this.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express