Options

Remove/Rebuild Kohler 5e carberator

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
Would like to remove the carb and rebuild it proactively. 11 summers and 240 hours it has to be in need. Looks like the kit and mounting baskets are under $50. Has anyone removed and rebuilt the carb? Tricks or things to keep in mind when removing, rebuilding and remounting? Any adjustments? I plan to remove and bring home to rebuild. I have rebuilt my snow blower and lead blower carbs so I think I’m up to the task  :) thanks for any tips 
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140. There should be extensive discussions on this topic in the archives. @Black_Diamond would be our resident expert.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I removed and replaced mine.  I had a heck of a time finding anybody to service it.  Turns out the motor portion of mine is Kawasaki.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Thanks MT, I did some extensive searching before this post and surprisingly there are a couple of comments about removing the carb but nothing about the process or rebuilding. I’ll be sure to post my experience.
    Agree Stodge, mine is a Kawasaki too. We have a good mechanic but I’d love to do it myself. Did you have any issues removing and replacing? Any adjustments or was it really just I n bolt and re bolt?

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did mine last year the hard part for me was getting my head back to the stern to see. Bolted on the new one and no adjustment was needed. Hard part is on reinstallation to keep the sparkarrester together with the bolts and get threads started. Other thing is choke linkage comes of after carb is unbolted. Agree 16hp Kawi but carb is different 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    There are more than a few pieces in the way that have to come off first.  Then the choke spring has to be carefully removed.  After that it was just a couple bolts if memory serves.

Agree with @reneechris14

• Options
    Thanks guys. My concern was more adjustment type stuff. I got burned (almost literally) rebuilding my choke last spring. I didnt realize how rich I'd set it after putting it back together and blew up my muffler when I started it. Paid a tech to properly set it. SO if the carb is something like that which needs to be dialed in correctly I'll pay someone. But if this is more of a remove screws (maybe more than a few) and replace screws I am good. Sounds like it will be a good time to clean up the spark arrestor. I have removed and replaced the ADS from the carb. 
    Stodge - on the spring, I hear ya on "carefully" removing it. Is it just a careful stretch and removal on the spring but no real adjusting?

• Options
    Thanks guys. My concern was more adjustment type stuff. I got burned (almost literally) rebuilding my choke last spring. I didnt realize how rich I'd set it after putting it back together and blew up my muffler when I started it. Paid a tech to properly set it. SO if the carb is something like that which needs to be dialed in correctly I'll pay someone. But if this is more of a remove screws (maybe more than a few) and replace screws I am good. Sounds like it will be a good time to clean up the spark arrestor. I have removed and replaced the ADS from the carb. 
    Stodge - on the spring, I hear ya on "carefully" removing it. Is it just a careful stretch and removal on the spring but no real adjusting?
    I don't recall doing anything other than putting it back where it had been.

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is correct forgot about the antifreeze over flow bottle.

2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Thanks! Will report back, hoping to remove the carb this Saturday. Opening day for weekend hours in storage!