Lowrance GPS - Upgrade Screen without doing the antenna?

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
My 07 280 has the original Lowrance GPS in it. Works fine but I was maybe thinking about updating/upgrading it to a current screen but was curious if I could reuse to existing antenna with a new unit? Can anyone give me some insight that is more familiar with the topic?
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't use my old one but the unit had a built in antenna
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I was just going to say that 99 percent of gps units use internal antennas. External are optional for better reception etc. get something that is close to the current size so install modification is minimal.
    oh and if you have radar then that would require a new radar head if let’s say you switch to garmin.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What model do you have @jme097 ? I know someone that might be interested in your current one if you decide to upgrade. His crapped out last season.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg its the Lowrance 6500 I think? Its under shrink wrap right now. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I will second what @zaverin1 stated.  When i replaced my chartplotter last summer i essentially did away with the antennae.  I left it there for the time being as i think i am going to put air horns where the mount is on the radar arch and i am going to use the wire as a fish tape.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    The PO for my boat put in the HDS-5 that has onboard but left the antenna there. I may pull it off this season and replace with a Wifi antenna to connect to my router.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

So your boat could become a hotspot??
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    For me yes. :) I have it so that the phones, ipad, pc and chromecast on the TV are local on the boat and only go through to the AP when hitting the web and via one connection. So if I cast from a device to TV, it doesn’t go up and back again. I have it secured but can make it open for others if I wanted to. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Man my boat is out of touch lol
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Handymans342 they call that of the grid.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @davidbrooks - the cables going up into the arch are probably zip-tied into a bundle.  Don't count on being able to pull out one cable.  I had to cut my radar cable.  But it's not hard to pull a new cable if you have a good fish tape.

Maybe you should consider keeping your arch-mounted GPS receiver.  Sure, the one in the display will work.  But as I've said many times, redundancy is a good thing.  The time when you most need your nav electronics to work is in bad weather, which is when they are most likely to fail.  
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Thought about that but none of my electronics have connectors for external Antennas.  The antenna is old and cracking...like me.  I agree i will likely have to just cut it out and fish a new line.  But i may get lucky.  Totally agree on the redundancy.  Which is why my fishfinder is also a chartplotter...with its own internal GPS. Unless i put in a NMEA network i am struggling to find a use for it and i really want new loud horns.  Got laughed at last summer by a guy when i used the stock horn.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!