Options

Sea Doo

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any advice appreciated. Looking at a Sea Doo Challenger 2300. 2 X 215 HP engines. 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Gas hog. MT really? You are on a Rinker owner web site asking for advice on another brand? Have you fell off your rocker?
    Post edited by Handymans342 on
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey MT, I recently asked about jet boats in general and got some pretty good feedback here. Here is the thread:

https://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/8176/who-knows-jet-boats
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited February 2018
    @ 44140....Thank you!

Don't worry Handy I have also asked my former Rinker dealer to chase down the guy who purchased my 2011 Rinker 226 XL with 350 Mag Blll and switchable thru hull exhaust.

Handy when you wake-up from hibernation we have discussed lots of pwcs, sleds, cars, airplanes.......on here.

BTW - this ain't no diesel forum......this is a performance forum -  where we also discuss our toys!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had 3 PWC in my past, two Yamaha's and a tiger shark. tiger shark was a dud, Yamaha's were great no issue's. Except ya cannot keep gas in them, lol 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited February 2018
    @randy56....thank you for the info. BTW I already have "gas issues" - remember I had an EC 360 with twin 502s......I understand extreme gas consumption.....LOL..... A PWC will be a joke compared to those!
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Al I agree with the Yahama suggestion 100% .....Thank you. I was told Sea Doo (which was built by Bombardier, a Canadian company) is still being built by Bombardier only now they are called BRP Sea Doo. BRP stands for Bombardier recreational products. 
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I don’t know if al agrees but in my experience all jets are complete money traps.
    i have worked on all types. 2 stroke twins and jet aka outboard power heads. I am going to tell you that even before 4stroke seadoo was always questionable.
    i rock a 2 stroke seadoo Jetski myself which is completely rebuilt built at the same time.
    my buddy has brand new seadoo skis and loves them.
    in my two cents don’t get a jet. Put that money towards a stern bow.
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The BRP engines used in the jet boats are pretty much the engines used in Sea Doo PWCs.  You can still find parts for them.  The boats themselves may be hard to find parts for.  Scarab jet boats bought the rights to Sea Doo jet boats and I believe are still BRP powered.

Check out the SeaDoo Forum.  There is a wealth of knowledge over there and they helped me when I ran into issues with my 2006 SeaDoo GTX PWC.

https://www.seadooforum.com/ 
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I have owned a handful of SeaDoo's. I would not buy a SeaDoo today and just helped my father pick/purchase a new Yamaha jet boat. There are a lot of issues with jet boats, and many more with BRP engines, all which I detailed on the last SeaDoo post - I won't drag it up again. If you really like noisy, inefficient, and expensive to operate buy a hovercraft. :-D
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Insightful comments guys. I am looking for a small towable for the Admiral and I that will also allow us to let the grand daughter water ski (slalom - not that silly wakeboarding).

I missed two late model black hulled (my favourite) Rinkers, a 182 and a 192. I don't think the guy who bought my 2011 226 XL wants to part with it and it's too big for a fast run and go trip.

Good friend manages a very big marina and is one of a very few 5 star Mercury Certified technicians in Ontario. He has won numerous awards for professionalism. Bought the 2013 Rinker EC 310 from him.

His opinion (if purchasing a pwc) was to go Yamaha as they are very reliable (I guess in comparison to other pwcs).  If buying a Yamaha he recommended the 2018 Yamaha FX Cruiser SVHO.

He said it's supercharged engine has amazing electronic and mechanical protection systems and the extended warranty (total 4 years NC at moment) is great protection.

The list of features is really awesome if you google the 2018 model.

I have friends who have his and hers 2017 FX SVHOs and love them.

I am looking for a small easy to launch and retrieve watercraft.

He's looking for it in black for me. 

If I buy it from him I will get fast, honest and amazing service.

Doug is the Canadian equivalent of our Al - that pretty much says it all.

We'll see. I'll let you guys know. In the meantime thanks for all the info.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about? Rent something when you, have the need to get out on the water?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hey MT, Scarab is now building small jet boats & they are pretty sweet. I was looking at them last March at the Novi Michigan boat show. The dealer was explaining that Scarab picked up the jet boat biz from BRP. All Rotax stuff. Might be worth a look. I can't remember the whole story.......http://www.scarabjetboats.com/intl

They had a couple sweet little bomb around boats with nice bimini's. Be great little fair weather boats to tour around marina's, belly up to sand bars etc.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @mattie thanks for taking the time to share the info.....I'll have a look.
  • Options
    Guy at Higgins bought a scarab last sunmer
    spent more time at the dock
    nothing but electrical problems 
  • Options
    Actually Scarab has been making jet boats for a while. They used to use them all the time at Disneyland. 
  • Options
    A big thank you to everyone who responded. We are looking at several options. The Admiral will make the final call. I said as long as it's black in color, goes fast and is relatively reliable.....you decide.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Don't do Black MT. What is it with you and Black? Do you have black cars? Are you married to Halle Berry? LOL
    Post edited by Handymans342 on
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't do Black MT. What is it with you and Black? Do you have black cars? Are you married to Halle Berry?
    WOW!!! :o
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hey MT! Tease us with a few pics of a tropical beach Your enjoying while we here in the Midwest are digging out of 8"-12" !!!!
    I have posted these pics in other post- 
    I have a 16' 250HP supercharged BRP Scarab jet,  top speed 55mph feels like 100. I went with the smallest available 16 footer for the Marina only charges $300 a summer to keep it in a full slip, anything over 17'1" is full price of a slip($3,000). We use it to Pull tubes, skiers, cruise around the harbor, blast downtown in 10mins, pull up to the beach, etc..... Its basically our dinghy on steroids. I had shopped around for 6months and found myself hypnotized by the badass looks. The reviews of the modern day BRP set-up was enough for me to feel comfortable. Any make and model will have skepticism and differences of opinions towards it.  We love it !
    As MT always says; CHEERS !!!!!!!
    Post edited by bry1429 on
  • Options
    That's a nice boat
  • Options
    Thank you Bryan.  I have looked at Sea Doo Challengers and Scarabs. There are a couple of new  Scarab 2018s for sale near us: a 150 HP and a 250 Hp model. Both are black so that's good. Final choice will go to the Admiral. 
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Just came from the Connecticut boat show and saw some Scarab jet boats, very hot looking. Also saw Chaparral jet boats. Don't know much about their jet boats, but their cruisers have a good reputation. My father had a Chaparral 26ft SS cuddy cabin with the 8.1 with a Bravo 3 outdrive and he loved it.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

@bry1429 - pictures as requested: Grace Bay Beach Providenciales Turks&Caicos. Where we stay from January to March. Island is ringed by beaches - this one is about 7 miles long and 200 yards wide. White powdered sand and multi-hued colored water. BBQd steaks and cold beer at night! Daytime high 80s night time high 70s. Beats home (snow and cold). From T&C to all my Rinker brothers.....CHEERS!

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Rinker brothers - thanks again for all of your comments regarding PWCs - as usual - insightful and generous!

The Admiral always gave me the green light for big engines, Axius systems, satellite TVs etc. etc.  So, this time I said buy what you want I don't give a sh*t what it costs - I have two respectful requests: can it be black (looks mean) Can it be fast? (no cruiser could beat my Rinkers I'm not about to get passed on a friggin PWC!)

She picked the Yamaha 2018 FX Cruiser SVHO. It's black and friends assure me it is very, very fast.  1812cc supercharged and intercooled - 160 mm pump. That's how I spell beast! No drama intended but it had to be a water craft that the Admiral could handle by herself and feel confident taking our grand daughter out on - if I wasn't around.

Already having some up-grades done (extra 12 volt receptacles......are you feelin' that @gtyee and @bry1429....'cause you guys got a LOT of extra electrical up-grades. LOL

Got 4 years of "factory" added warranty .....@bry1429 knows what I'm talkin' about. 

Up graded the trailer to radial tires, added spare, tongue jack, shrink-wrapped wiring and led lights.

It's gonna be a fun summer taking the grand daughter ( who's coming to visit us in a few weeks here in the T&C) tubing, wake board and water skiing.

If interested - here's the link:

https://www.yamahawaverunners.com/fx-series/fx-cruiser-svho/

BTW - notice how the add says "Starting at $15,999.00. Yeah, trust me.....that's STARTING!!!!!

CHEERS! MT
  • Options
    I guess once you go black .Lol
  • Options
    Handy - in my case (regarding vehicles) once you go black you never go back...but....some of my white hulled friends say - once you go white you know you were right. 
  • Options
    @shawnmjr I could not convince the Admiral to buy two. There is a great deal near where we live for two on a trailer, 1 year old about 20% price reduction, still under warranty maybe 40 hours on them.  They were red but I could have lived with that or had mine done in black vinyl with graphics but - she said "No thanks."  She said "I don't want to drive. You drive and I'll look around at things." Geez, if she wasn't so awesome I'd call her a princess......actually she and the grand daughter are princesses! LOL
  • Options
    I thought you got a jet boat 
  • Options
    @zaverin1.....looked at four. Would have preferred one. A great Sea Doo, Yamaha and two Scarabs but the Admiral wasn't interested. She liked that the biggest PWCs were less than 12' long and about 4' wide -so easy for her to put on and take off the trailer. Maybe I could take her out on a choppy day and she would want to trade-in on a jet boat with twins? Ha ha!
  • Options