Options

342 with 8.1's

goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
Check out this 342 with 8.1's  . Might be a nice upgrade from my 320. https://m.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/360459/rinker-342-fiesta-vee-toronto-ontario

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice boat, there was a 2004 342 in Chicago with v drives and 8.1s for sale recently you may want to look in to as well. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    shawnmjr said:
    Is it just me or does the price seem a little high for a 2004? I know it’s in Canadian dollars but it’s still probably about $74,000 US Currency 
    The inboards usually get a higher price 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Anybody know the fuel consumption for that setup?  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea usually about 15% =/- higher due to inability to trim hull. Trim tabs won't compensate enough and cause significant drag as well.
  • Options
    @LaRea usually about 15% +/- higher due to inability to trim hull. Trim tabs won't compensate enough and also cause significant drag as well.
  • Options
    Price will depend on the currency rate of the day. It has been a favorable for US citizens as 28% in 2018 and is expected to increase. If I was an American boater I would definitely look to the CDN market. Also note the hours as we have a shorter boating season than many U.S. states.
  • Options
    @LaRea, consumption will be +/- 15% due to inability to trim tabs. Some DD Sea Rays are 20%+ due to heavier hull. Also trim tabs won't overcome the deficit and they too create drag. Plus points in favor are - no out drives in the water to maintain and corrode and the prop pockets of a DD protect the props to a decent degree lessening damage due to underwater strikes. I would factor all of that into the overall cost of ownership for the comparison. *****Huge bonus to me are those 8.1s  IMO they are the BEST engine size for that boat!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    @LaRea, consumption will be +/- 15% due to inability to trim tabs. Some DD Sea Rays are 20%+ due to heavier hull. Also trim tabs won't overcome the deficit and they too create drag. Plus points in favor are - no out drives in the water to maintain and corrode and the prop pockets of a DD protect the props to a decent degree lessening damage due to underwater strikes. I would factor all of that into the overall cost of ownership for the comparison. *****Huge bonus to me are those 8.1s  IMO they are the BEST engine size for that boat!
    Besides Diesels of course!!!!
  • Options
    Yea I really like the 8.1 inboard set up, the engines themselves cost a lot more than 350s so that may contribute to the higher price along with the very low supply of inboards. There is a boat test report out there online comparing two 342s in a side by side test, one with inboard 8.1 setup and the other with bravo 3 and I think the 6.2. The inboard used 30% more fuel. Ive commented here before that this summer I did a 100 mile trip with an inboard sea ray 340. He had 454s and he used almost twice the fuel I did, part of that was I was
    cruising at almost 30mph and he cruises at more like 25 so he was pushing it to keep up. I’ll post that comparison if I can find it. 

• Options
    I remember that post. 
  • Options
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.powerandmotoryacht.com/.amp/boat-tests/rinker-fiesta-vee-342-0

That is a good article, mentioned Al a lot! But there is a better article with a fuel consumption table out there 

• Options
    The 342 with sterndrives is such a great-handling, fast, fuel-efficient boat ... V-drives would completely change the character.  The way I cruise, they would cost me an extra $1000 a year in fuel.  And forget about making it from DC to Annapolis or St. Michaels in a day.
  • Options
    The article said the stern drive was less fuel efficient. I find that hard to believe
  • Options
    I hate to do this but my 342 with diesels and B2s is faster than a 342 with 6.2s and V drives. LOL
  • Options
    No, it said the I/O burned more gallons per hour at some RPM ranges.  But the I/O had much higher MPG because it was going so much faster.  I think it said the cruise speed was 10 mph faster, so probably 32 mph vs. 22 mph.  

Honestly, GPH doesn't have much meaning unless you spend a lot of time waiting for locks to open.  I don't know why people focus on GPH.  For most of the powerboat world, MPG is what matters.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    No, it said the I/O burned more gallons per hour at some RPM ranges.  But the I/O had much higher MPG because it was going so much faster.  I think it said the cruise speed was 10 mph faster, so probably 32 mph vs. 22 mph.  

Honestly, GPH doesn't have much meaning unless you spend a lot of time waiting for locks to open.  I don't know why people focus on GPH.  For most of the powerboat world, MPG is what matters.  
    MPG is hard to contemplate. GPH at a given speed over a period of time is good for cruising I guess.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Yes, I always use MPG as well.  I even have my vesselview set at MPG.  (I just don't always like the numbers :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Handy, when you get an engine interface, your fancy new Raymarine will calculate MPG for you.  

Anyway -- @goalie59, I guess you'd have to decide whether the extra maintenance cost of sterndrives is offset by saving 20% on fuel and cruising 10 mph faster.  
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    I hear you. My 320 has twin 350,s and I think it is perfect. Not sure what my mpg is but will know this season when I get my ray marine interfaced . For now I will stick with my 320. Thanks for the input. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Handy, when you get an engine interface, your fancy new Raymarine will calculate MPG for you.  

Anyway -- @goalie59, I guess you'd have to decide whether the extra maintenance cost of sterndrives is offset by saving 20% on fuel and cruising 10 mph faster.  
    My Yanmar engines are not NEMA 2000 compatible. 
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    They are Hyundai compatible lol
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I look at field use in boats like I do cars - you run ‘em, they burn fuel. Fill it up when needed. Didn’t buy either considering fuel economy, bought for the vehicle/vessel and what it comes with. Fuel burn included.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    icoultha said:
    I look at field use in boats like I do cars - you run ‘em, they burn fuel. Fill it up when needed. Didn’t buy either considering fuel economy, bought for the vehicle/vessel and what it comes with. Fuel burn included.
    That's fine if you are confined to a lake but worthless if you do long trips and want to plan out stops based on estimated range. 
  • Options
    Speed matters.  In my typical short vacation, a 32-mph boat lets me spend three days at St. Michaels, where it would be one day in a 22-mph boat.  

I need to become retired like @Michael T.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Speed matters.  In my typical short vacation, a 32-mph boat lets me spend three days at St. Michaels, where it would be one day in a 22-mph boat.  

I need to become retired like @Michael T.  
    Why dont you retire? You have 40 years in the govt .Lol
  • Options
    Almost!  When I do, I'll move to Cape Coral and live the good life.  Swimmin' pools, movie stars.  I want to get there this century, so I'll keep my sterndrives for now.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

He's not as old as you are Handy! :)

I do agree with LaRea.  Speed does matter and when looking at boats to buy (that is this topic, right?), you need to consider what you are using it for and how you will use it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited February 2018
    @LaRea..... yes you do and BTW retirement is everything they say it is! Saying hello from Grace Bay Beach - Turks and Caicos. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Almost!  When I do, I'll move to Cape Coral and live the good life.  Swimmin' pools, movie stars.  I want to get there this century, so I'll keep my sterndrives for now.
    Actually you should move to Naples. That's where all the old white people go with slow boats.  Lol