First time changing the Impeller

joey91279joey91279 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
Hi Rinker friends,

I will attempt to change my first impeller this spring on my 2005 Captiva 192.  I was wondering if the job is difficult and I will be able to do it on my own or do I need to take it in and have a professional do it.  I do watch a lot of youtube videos on how to do things on the boat.  

I do appreciate any feedback or help!

Thanks,
J

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can and should learn to do it yourself!  That way, if you ever lose an impeller while you are out on the water, you can fix it without having to wait for help.

The difficulty depends a lot on your boat and how hard it is to physically reach the pump.  Maybe some other 192 owners will chime in with details.

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most likely there is a you tube out there that will take you through it. I have 2006 350’s and I can tell you that if you have a 350 there is an awesome step by step thread out there that I used to do this myself. Took a few hours to do two engines. You need to buy a set of short stub wrenches and you need the 10mm stub wrench. Will make it easier, harbor freight has a set for less than $10 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The key is to find the bolts that attach the pump to the engine, and remove those bolts first.  Then you can remove the pump and work on it in a comfortable position.  

If you need to change the impeller while the boat is in the water, here's a trick.  When you remove the hose that supplies water to the pump, sea water will start flowing out into the bilge.  Don't panic!  Just stuff a rag into the hose to stop the water flow.  Make sure it's tight enough to stay in place until you finish the repair.  You might end up with a gallon or two of water in the boat, so turn on the bilge pump.  

Oh, and maybe take a photo of the serpentine belt before you remove it.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    First, what drive do you have? If it's an alpha, the the impeller is in the drive itself. If it's bravo, then I agree with comments above.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing @Dream_Inn . A 192 more than likely has an Alpha drive. I have never seen a 192 with a B3, but I am sure it has been done.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    All above comments assume Mercruiser. Volvo Penta has impeller on crank pulley and is very easy to replace. I don't believe there is another impeller in the Volvo outdrive, either SX or DP, but not 100% certain.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comment withdrawn  :D:D
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Alpha one drive pump can be done without removing the entire drive. You can separate upper from lower and bang
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaverin1 said:
    Alpha one drive pump can be done without removing the entire drive. You can separate upper from lower and bang
    Yes, I've done it this way once or twice. 
    2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    aero3113 said:
    zaverin1 said:
    Yes, I've done it this way once or twice. 
    Yep, same here.  Just need to be really careful of the drive seal when putting them back together.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Well you have upper seal and oil seal really
    everything else is pump housing related.
    just get a merc or Sierra kit and you will be just fine.

• nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    As noted, if it is an Alpha drive the impeller is in the lower unit of the outdrive. It is a pretty simple task. I have done mine a couple of times and believe me, if I can do it, you can do it :-)  The hardest part is putting the lower unit back on and that is pretty basic if you have a helper. I did it by myself and it was a bit fiddly to get the alignment done while hefting that thing up But again, very doable for even a pretty rank amateur. Check out a couple U-Tube videos. There are several good ones out there.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

N yes read, ask or YouTube 
  • joey91279joey91279 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Thank you all for replying!  The outdrive is a Mercruiser Alpha. I have watched a few YouTube videos and it does look easy, 
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaverin1 said:
    I had a bayliner with an Alpha 1, never replaced the impeller and never overheated...something like 6 years!! 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I you do split the outdrive without taking it off make sure you drain all of the lube including the reservoir.
    2008 330EC