oil extractor pump

GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
Can anyone recommend one 

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And a washing machine hose
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Washing Machine hose works great! From what I remember, I think I had to drill the hole a little bigger on the fitting on the hose to fit the dipstick tube snug.
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a hand pump from west marine, big canister, pump a few times and the oil flows in to a canister. Works great! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the one that goes on the end of my drill. It also works great.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X2 on the drill with clear hose works great just make sure its warm.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto here...i have the drain tube...i put the hose in that and suck it right out!
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I pop the drain plug on the oil pan and drain into the bilge.
    once drained I flick the bilge pump and enjoy a cold drink.
    like 8 for every quart I dumped lol
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO

If I were going to keep a boat for any length of time I would remove the drain plug from the oil pan and install a brass fitting. I listed all the part numbers for the different oil pans a couple of years ago. I would attach a purpose built oil/heat resistant hose to it and then an electric oil pump. Using this removes the oil in a couple of minutes.

The first one I had installed on a boat was in 1994. The technician said I was wasting my time. He said the system used by the marina (a white pail with a pump on top - everyone has seen these, right?) would have gotten everything but a few ounces. 

I told him I doubted that. He pulled the drain plug and started yelling for rags. He burned his hand as hot oi ran all over it (we had - obviously - heated the oil before removal to draw all contaminants into the oil) .....and about a pint of oil drained out.

Anyone who thinks they are getting all of the oil out via a dip stick removal system is dreaming. 

For a few bucks and 30 minutes work install a proper removal system.
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Good post Michael, I agreed this is the proper way.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Michael T said:

Anyone who thinks they are getting all of the oil out via a dip stick removal system is dreaming. 
    Hey, I am Dream 'Inn! :)  I've always had the drain hose on the bottom of the oil pan and have one of those buckets with the 12V pump.  Connect to hose, turn on switch, have a drink!  2-3 minutes later, done! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

@Dream_Inn....awesome. I installed small 12V electric pumps in the engine bay, wired and fused them to a battery with a hose long enough to reach a couple of jugs on the dock or boat deck. Flip the switch and done. To get the last few drops out I would pinch the end of the hose closed to build vacuum in the pump and release it into a jug - bam - the last few ounces gone! 
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea...but id have no idea how I would reach the drain plug.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    edited February 2018
    @skennelly, agreed it's not easy. Several times we have used an off set wrench to get a bit of room but it does require some acrobatics.....and the installation of the 90 degree elbow for the hose does require some blind feeling around and care not to cross thread the oil pan threads! Of course when anyone lifts an engine (IMO) putting that rig on should be part of the plan.