Options

New owner of an 04 342 FV

McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

Closed on a Rinker 342 last week, unfortunately its 3 hours away and with Chicago winters I wont get my hands on her again till spring.

The first thing I really want to do is change the speakers, I know there is 6 6.5in in the cockpit and 2 in the cabin. It looks to have the stock sony setup, so my question is what size is the sub? Also if its a 12in has anyone installed the JL Mseries in the same spot? I know that thing is beast and needs 20in of depth.

Has anyone changed the head unit and found something compatible with the factory remotes or can you recommend what you used to replace the factory remotes and was able to cover the existing holes.

Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new boat! You found the best forum on the internet for your questions to be answered!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Pictures!
    I wish had some good ones, but soon!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Just changed the speakers on my 06, 342. Was all clarion and I replaced with brand new clarion. Sub is 10”. Speakers are 6.5”, had a heck of a time finding speakers that matched the hole so I cut the holes in the fiberglass another 1/4” larger and then used speaker rings on the arch to make them fit. Worked out great, got it all on amazon warehouse deals for 70% off list as they had damaged packaging, missing manuals, missing mounting screws. There is a lot of depth behind the sub, could be 20”. Welcome and congrats!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    My 370 (probably the same as your 342) has a 9" opening with 16" of clearance behind the sub.  Which JL sub are you looking at?  The one I saw is only 8" deep.  

Congrats and welcome!
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    My 370 (probably the same as your 342) has a 9" opening with 16" of clearance behind the sub.  Which JL sub are you looking at?  The one I saw is only 8" deep.  

Congrats and welcome!
    Thanks!

Right now I'm under the assumption from a friend with the same year and model that it has a Sony 12in sub from factory (Which to be honest I'm hoping its 10in) If that is the case I was looking at the JL M12 which I was told by a JL dealer that it was almost double the size of the M10 and needed a ton of space. Looking at the specs though its about 9in for depth so not horrible.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the 342! I used Polk DB650 (if my memory is correct!)  speakers as replacements. I has to drill/tap for the 2 in the arch. 

The Kenwood system mine came with has an 800W amplifier. It is located under the starboard srorage bin in the v berth. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    My '03 342 had a 10" Clarion, as does my 370 -- but you never know what a previous owner might have installed on yours.  There's certainly enough room for a 12.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum!  You purchased a great boat and even got one of the better years they made that boat!  If I remember correctly, that is the first year they gave an extra foot of space in the engine room.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Congrats love my 342 !I wish I had that extra foot in my 2002. My motors just missed being able to hook up any of the  vessel view stuff. 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    Congrats and I have a 04 342. Great boat and everyone that boards her, they comment how roomy. I'm sure you thought of it but the first things I would change is the oil and filter on the engines and the generator. Change gear lube. I would changed the water fuel separators also. Now you know for a fact the blood for both engines, generator and drives are new, I upgraded from factory to Clarion head unit and regret every time I turn it on. I will choose Fusion when I do it again. I went with kicker speakers, only outside. I dont party in the salon so I left the factory two in there. Whatever you choose, make sure you its a marine units because the circuit boards are sealed and will last forever. If you go and buy car head unit it will not last but a couple years before you have problems. Remotes are the problem with the new stuff out there. Very hard to find the same connections. I mounted a remote at the helm and use a small water proof remote that I can sit in the water and crank it up or change the song!
  • Options
    Congrats and I have a 04 342. Great boat and everyone that boards her, they comment how roomy. I'm sure you thought of it but the first things I would change is the oil and filter on the engines and the generator. Change gear lube. I would changed the water fuel separators also. Now you know for a fact the blood for both engines, generator and drives are new, I upgraded from factory to Clarion head unit and regret every time I turn it on. I will choose Fusion when I do it again. I went with kicker speakers, only outside. I dont party in the salon so I left the factory two in there. Whatever you choose, make sure you its a marine units because the circuit boards are sealed and will last forever. If you go and buy car head unit it will not last but a couple years before you have problems. Remotes are the problem with the new stuff out there. Very hard to find the same connections. I mounted a remote at the helm and use a small water proof remote that I can sit in the water and crank it up or change the song!
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I agree I definitely plan on having a nice baseline for maintenance before putting it in the water. The stereo was just something I wanted to upgrade first.
  • Options
    Nice to know about the Fusion. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Well the day has finally come, and took delivery of my new to me 342 this past Sat. Now time for the fun on getting her to a baseline on maintenance and adding our own touch. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Very nice looking boat!  Time to enjoy!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks! Have a lot of plans for her but just need weather to start cooperating, 60s and rain the next few days in Chicagoland and no signs of it stopping.  
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @McGarnicle - What part of Chicagoland if I may ask?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @skennelly Chain O'Lakes but plan to make an appearance on Lake Michigan for a season or two in the next couple years. 
  • Options
    Congrats!!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking boat!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    @McGarnicle - I had an 18' crownline on the chain.  Used to slip at Bauskes boat basin by the route 12 bridge.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, over nite's will be good.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @skennelly I’m right down the channel from Bauskes at Rustic. Chain can be a big pain with being so shallow and losing weeks to flooding but I love it. 
  • Options
    @McGarnicle - agreed with the shallow and flooding.  We got sick of the crowded water and wanted to move up to a cruiser on the big lake.  We had fun though on the chain.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @McGarnicle Congrats on the new "to you" boat.  The 342 is a great vessel.  We did a loop of Lake Huron last year which included about 2 miles into Lake Michigan.  She can take you just about anywhere.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    @Stodge Thanks! I read through your blog recently and looked like an awesome trip!! I hope one day I'll be able to document something similar on the Lake Michigan side. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge Thanks! I read through your blog recently and looked like an awesome trip!! I hope one day I'll be able to document something similar on the Lake Michigan side. 
    Lake Michigan would be a little less complicated since it's all US.  There are islands at the North end with some lighthouses and what look like nice anchorages.  Then of course there is Mackniac Island.  Lots of great places to visit.  I'm sure after you have a couple seasons on your 342 you'll be itching to go.

We plan to do a trip to Georgian Bay but not until 2021.  Too many other vacation plans in the way until then.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Of the islands in N Lk Mich, only S Manitou and Beaver Is are safe overnight anchorages from weather. Unless you get an east wind. Both great to visit. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Heard a lot of great things about Beaver Island, definitely will be one of the stops when we get out there
  • Options
    Finally got her out for a nice evening cruise before she gets pulled tomorrow for maintenance and vinyl wrap.