running a bravo 3 on a trailer

GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
yellow everyone after owning a Chris Craft with a OMC drive for the past 10 years the boat would not  go into froward an was having a hard time finding someone to repair it ,finally the only option was to remove the motor and replace the gimbal housing and the drive with a bravo 3 ,I needed to move on  so  last year i bought a 2003 270 the Previous owner  had the outdrive stolen ,so I bought a ned one and when I went to run it with the muffs the water was coming out of the holes in the nose of the drive [I have well water and the pressure is not all it should be ] ,I ended up running it in a tub of water 9this is all before the props were on .my question is I don't think it will fit in a tub with the props on can I remove the belt from the motor so the water pump won't run  and run it for a short while on the trailer thanks Greg 

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well- to run out of the water you have to have enough water to run it. Kind of impossible to get around this. I don't have huge water pressure to run mine on the muffs- I don't run it above idle and never had a problem- your running on a pump...does your ramp have a hose to flus run?
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ......respectful suggestion: a Bravo can suck a hose flat and burn your impeller - fast, so be careful with that.
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To add to MT it takes a lot of water, to run on a hose, I do it here, but have great pressure, You may be better to take it some where you can get good water. Never heard of anyone unhooking belt, new on me. 
    Boat Name : 

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I just want to make sure it starts up in the spring  I have it on a trailer and keep it in a small lake  if i disconnect the belt the water pump won't turn and burn out the impeller 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GMSLITHO......I'd have to think what could go wrong with your idea a bit but let me say this, I can remember at least a dozen friends and acquaintances who have gotten into serious repair $$$$ by doing what you say. I have done it and my marinas have done it but briefly and always with a least two guys - one watching the water flow and one on the keys for a quick shut off. That said, temperatures can spike super fast and parts can become damaged faster than most people can imagine - then it's too late. I am not trying to alarm you just sharing some personal knowledge.
    ok thank I know the impeller will be ruined just by cranking the motor,I just want to make sure it starts 
    Great thanks when I hooked them up last year the water was coming out of the front thats why I ran it in a tub ,did a search but can't seem to find one Ill call mere when they open Thanks for the info Greg
  • rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Can you dunk it in the water at a nearby marina or harbor?  Wouldn't need to take it off of the trailer.  Just a thought .Good luck!
    Yep just wanted to make sure it fires up before i drag it down there 
    Well, I'd look at this way. If you drag it down there and it does not start, your going to have to fix that. If you start it on the trailer, you really wont know how its going to run on the water and if you starve that pump, you also now have to fix that. Drag it to the ramp, worst that will happen is you bring it back home.
    alswagg set me up you need more than the side muffs 
  • 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    Mine has the low water pickup on the nose, as well. All you need to do is duct tape over the holes in the nose, and use normal muffs. Works like a champ. 
    I tried that when I first put the drive on last year ,I guess the water pressure just isn't enough 
    mine has pickup on through the foot and also a thru hull- mine runs find on the muffs...so there is a different style foot yet for water pickup??
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I put the muffs on with the water running then pull the little blue cap on the pump to make sure the water is there and the air is out. Then when I fire it up the muffs suck right to the drive no water blowing out. Couple seconds and the water comes out the transom assembly. If the water is coming out the muffs after you start your staving the impeller.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    That's a good idea reneechris.....I have not had a problem just hooking up and going but that would be a little safer...