Out with the old....In with the new !

For 3 years I’ve been staring at the original anchor which came with the boat.  It is a galvanized 33 lb. plow that never visually impressed me.  The finish was grey and dreary and didn’t go with the overall appearance of the boat.

that all changed today !!

polished stainless steel !

ill post pics when I install it  

Comments

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    too shinny, lol
    Boat Name : 

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will look great when installed!!
    2008 330EC
  • laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Omg love it! Brand and price? From where?
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet..they ain't cheap....
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are my hero.
    I've been thinking about some shiny tape on the sides...hardly goes in the water anyway.
  • laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    And the real question is how well does the stainless hold up when you actually use it?  Does it scratch up?
  • DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    I thought about several alternatives.  I considered chrome plating my anchor, I also considered powder coating it. The silver powder coat can get pretty close to chrome if done right. And finally, I thought about painting my anchor. 
    After looking at several high dollar boats, and seeing they all came from the factory with polished 304 stainless steel anchors, my decision was made.  I don’t throw my hook in rocky waters. I always throw it in sand or mud.  So I don’t think scratching will be an issue.  It can always be polished again if it gets some scratches on it.
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    That stainless one will be around for 1,000 years. Put some 304 shackles on it.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    and that's about the price to I think Mattie- anchors aren't cheap period!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....and use a piece of SS wire to lock the shackle.
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy that's a pretty anchor 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    That’s gonna look nice! 
    You know, when you invited me onboard I didn’t want to say anything but I thought to myself “man, this guy has an immaculate yacht but what’s up with the low rent anchor” lol. ...jk
    that's about what they cost! I'll get silver paint and pretend it needs to be polished...
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it's actually her anchor. This takes ball and chain to a new level, with the windless.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    I think @bry1429 wins the anchor bling wars. I sold my EC 360 with two SS anchors - both beauties.
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    It’s funny when it comes to preference. My dock neighbor sold his ss plow anchor cause he couldn’t hook up to save his life.
    went Roma regular anchor and all good.
    In had a Delta SS "plow type" very good in many conditions then I bought a Manson Supreme SS which holds like you are bolted to the bottom. Rocna is a good one too. As for the SS it just looks awesome.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

I have a hard time spending money on something to be real shiny when I will repeatedly (on purpose every weekend) drop it in mud/sand even some little stones or whatever muck there is on the bottom, and then drag it for a few yards, pull it tight with the weight of my boat.  I tend to always be the one to set anchor for the raftups as well.

& then try to shine it clean every week (wow, almost sounds like my entire boat, just splashing it with brackish water, then washing off each weekend :) ).  The anchor is the one thing on my boat that just washing off with the hose is good enough! :)

This reminds me of a story...(now to make it short)...Labor day weekend two years ago...came back to my river early after rafting up for the weekend, to a local hangout to drop hook.  My buddy was on the hook with a his neighborhood friends that had all small boats (center console type).  I was on the end, dropped my anchor because it was weird connecting to a group of boats half my size.  Lots more of my marina friends showed up, tied on my other side.  Then, even more showed up that were really good friends of dock neighbor.....little guys started leaving, wind shifted & picked up.  It was now blowing at our stern.  Needed to rotate around. 

I directed a swing of about 20 boats, all while on my anchor (had to be down to one anchor to swing) and then asked a guy towards the other end of raftup, to drop his anchor when I tell him.  Nobody had said anything, the guy agreed to drop when I told him....all worked out real well and the party continued........I found out the next weekend that the guy I had drop anchor, had a really large, really shiny anchor, that had never ever, seen the water!  he typically has another anchor he puts on when he goes out on his own to use.  LOL!!  His buddies couldn't believe he listened to me and put it in the water! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

edited February 2018
    Yeah, okay @DI.....but I used my "shiny" anchors. Had two  - for different bottom conditions, although I must admit that the Manson Supreme - which I purchased largely on forum member Tony's review was incredible.....and yes, I like mirror shiny as opposed to dull gray with hunks of galvanized coated weld dripped everywhere (had a couple of those ugly pieces of cr*p hanging off my bow of my Rinker for awhile!)..... and I like black hulls (more work but worth it as they look so awesome and mean) and I like big engines (the bigger the better), satelite dishes, cableTV and big screen TVs and nasty stereos on board and AGM batteries etc. etc. etc. - and - of course -  RINKERS - Why? Because I can! I like the best, meanest and fastest - I want my rides to look better, be more intimidating and be faster than anything out there! Even my new PWC will be the best looking meanest out there - Why? .....because, to repeat,  I'm just not satisfied with a gray piece of cr*p anything hanging off any ride I have. I guess it's all a matter of personal choice. I believe Rinkers are by far the best value for money and I wanted mine to be the best looking and operating in every way possible. You could ask @gtyee and @bry1429 how I did but we all know the answer to that. BTW you gotta love @bry1429 ....he ADDED another Ocean LED light bar to the two I already had on the EC360 - now that's my kind of boater!!!!!! 
    WOW....now tell us how you really feel ??    :-)
    I look at it this way.    I agree...it goes IN THE MUD !!   that's what it's designed to do. However, it also hangs on the front of my boat.  I bow-in, because we enjoy the view and the privacy off our stern.  
    As you are walking down the dock, the VERY 1st thing you see, (if you don't walk into it) is my anchor.   I like the bright shiny things !   
    It's not even mounted on my bow yet, and I already have at least 5 coats of wax on it. All in hopes that it will "shed" the mud as it is being winched up from the bottom.
    edited February 2018
    @Dirtythirty...agreed and it will shed the mud....and even if it gets a scratch or two on it it will still look better than some galvanized anchor that a kid in a junior shop class could weld?! 

BTW - isn't the competitive spirit what made the United States great? I think so - 3 years in an American school is where I learned that lesson!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Dirty, to re-cap just like looking at a woman, the first thing you see is up front.
    MT did you have a cocktail at lunch time ? all fired up there.  
    Boat Name : 

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A shiny SS anchor is a lot like a Nordhaven 96.  We'd all have one if we could afford it. And this conversation is making me want to afford that anchor!
    @randy......my policy of never making fun of a guy's shiny toy or staring too hard at what is up front has allowed me to reach my present age. 

BTW I don't think a guy can have too many shiny toys, too many black hulls , engines too big and .......I'll stop now! :-) 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yeah, my boat is bow in at the dock too. We have a beautiful view on the stern at the dock. But, it's also because of the lift. I've left a hunk of mud hanging on the anchor before, hanging right over the edge of the dock, even with some seaweed....just to get some good comments because everyone on the dock knows how I keep the boat all clean. :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    In had a Delta SS "plow type" very good in many conditions then I bought a Manson Supreme SS which holds like you are bolted to the bottom. Rocna is a good one too. As for the SS it just looks awesome.
    MT has put too many to list upgrades on his old 360 , the only regret I have is buying it before he was able to complete a few more pricey upgrades  B) (your still welcome to do a few upgrades now MT)
    Heres pics of the 2 anchors that he added to the collection. 
    edited February 2018
    If you sell a boat, like I did, and you have optioned them with every accessory and up-grade you can think of AND the new  owners "get it" that's Boating HEAVEN!!!!! 

With new owners @gtyee and @bry1429. We could not imagine two more awesome families to own these boats. I communicate with them off list a fair bit. They are incredible people whose attitude to boating, life and my former babies (My Rinker Cruisers) warms my heart and dulls the pain of their loss.

I think I once said a torch had been passed to the next generation who will - like so many of you - infect the next generation of boaters and IMO..... THAT is OUR legacy on this forum - giving the next generation the array of skills they will need in the highly competitive environment that life has become. Water/boating skills build confidence which builds strength. Geez a lecture at 1:45 a.m. Way past an old geezer's bed time!
    Post edited by Michael T on