Salt water and longevity

pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
I found the below listing interesting even though it is almost 1100 miles away from me. I have not contacted the seller as of yet. I was looking for input from others about what kind of toll lifetime (of the boat) salt water use takes on a boat and engine without fwc. I know exhaust elbows and some other wear and tear items need replaced over time regardless of water type but how about block and drive longevity? Opinions welcome!

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-rinker-fiesta-vee-270-express-103199775

-Paul (boatless and bored)

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

She looks clean and with no bottom paint, that means it wasn't left in the water for long periods of time.  That is a good thing with the salt water.  If it was flushed after use, then you may not have any issues with being ran in salt water.  Normal wear and tear and issues with age may be all you'll have problems with.  I think you should have one our Florida guys take a look at it for you!

Only thing I'm curious about is that the trailer has only been in the water less than 10 times.  To me, that can only mean they keep it in a high/dry and gets put in out with forklift (which is a good thing), so it probably also gets a quick pressure wash each time out, but I'm betting not an engine flush (unless lift kept).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    @pault1216 The boat looks like it is brand new.  I think the engine cooling system would have the most wear and tear from saltwater with the build up of salt in the chambers causing corrosion.  Here is a good video about how to deal with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w_o5xB8ZFI&list=PLJD0gZGZdCuccH5aK290F9VmjcCwZMZlh

Although he is talking about an outboard I think an inboard engine would have the same issues.   For that kind of money I think I would have it surveyed.   Good luck finding one, there are a lot of them out there for sale. 

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I’ve bought saltwater boats and brought them to fresh. Current 342 has always been in fresh. Key is maintenance. If you can look in the engine room and see signs of salt you’ll have a heck of a time re selling in fresh. Think about a freshwater boats engine room, no rust, no rust stains, some look new. That’s what you want to buy for fresh for be ok doing some cleaning and painting to update. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same boat, purchased from someone in Fl. that kept it on a lift. Bought mine 4 years ago for 34. It was not nearly as clean as this one, did not have the camper package, Bimini but did have the bow rail (optional) and generator (optional) I don't know if the electric windlass is standard but I don't think it was. Mine had 100 hours on it and the trailer was junk so I figure I got that for free. Mine is FWC, or at least 50% as it still uses raw water to cool the heads. Seller states he has kept in a warehouse so it was indoors. Odd they did not show any engine compartment pictures but, would say she looks really clean and worth a look for sure. No question you would still want a survey and be prepared for some pesky little things at least to take care of but if it is as clean as it looks...... maybe you can talk Handy into looking at it, don't think he is that far away....
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    you'll have to upgrade the tv so you can probably talk him down 
    just joking make a offer subject to a survey the boat looks nice and well maintained 

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at that outdrive.  No corrosion.  No marine growth.  The anodes look new.  If that's the original drive, this boat has not spent many nights in the water.
  • pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I had a 2000 FV270 and regretfully sold it after buying a 64' houseboat a few years back. I like the double wide helm seat on the '04, upgraded drive corrosion protection, and (I think) a slight design change in the stern. Mine had a small integrated swim platform. I guess I need to find a place to store it down their pending an extended Keys trip. I would like to bring it home for outfitting but that is a lot of towing back/forth. I need to get some more info and some engine bay pics.
    -Paul
    You van find plenty of places- perhaps the owner will store it for a fee for a limited time basis- work that into the deal?
    Surprised after 64' your looking at a 270!
    I think I got a price last year  to ship the same boat from Fla to Ny for about 1500
  • rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Surprised after 64' your looking at a 270!  I bet a 270 is a lot faster!!!!

• pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    The houseboat was great (sold it 2015) but confined to Dale Hollow lake. I took my 1st Rinker ('92 FV260) from Savannah to St. Augustine, Sarasota to Ft Myers, and all the Keys (twice). Loved it. The 270 plan was to have something reasonable to trailer and to spend some time again in southern Florida again so I can figure out a potential live-aboard or smaller boat (like the 270) and a house or condo. Several IN transplants I know moved to FI only to move back due to temps. At 60 years old now I can say the cold weather here SUCKS. I still have some numbers to crunch. Thanks again.
    -Paul