good infant life jacket

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
Can anybody recommend a quality infant life preserver?  Our little one will be 5 months old come boat launch on April 1st and want to be ready.

Thanks
2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Best Answers

Answers

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the same one for my daughter when she was an infant. I also have a Guava crib that I use on the boat. Hoping to get one more year out of the crib before I have to figure something else out.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That life jacket is amazing! In fact @Michael T still uses his.  RLMAO
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been so nervous about taking little ones on the boat- my great grandson I've never taken out as if something happened to the boat and me, well it's hard to imagine the thought...I will look into this as I'd love to get the little ones out.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras get them on the water away from the idiots in the malls and the basement video games. Hook 'em on the water lifestyle and they will prosper.....they may be broke like us (LOL) but otherwise they will prosper! LOVE to see kids on the water......3 person Yamaha PWC so grand daughter would have a ride!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Ras, definitely get them out on the water! If you need to be cautious, make it a short safe trip close to shore.  They will love it!  My kids started out like pictured in this topic, both were weeks or months old on the boat.  Now they are 17 and 14 and still love boating!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your all right....
    My 3 year old daughter loves the boat. She talks about it all the time, even in the winter. She has been on the water since she was 5 months old. She is a true river rat! Lol. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone really helped.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    @skennelly, my wife and I also have our daughter in swim lessons. She has been doing that since she was 4 months old. We went to a place called Goldfish Swim School, where the pool room is 90* and the pool is also 90*. That way everyone enjoys swimming. When they are that young, a parent gets to go into the pool with them. I was the lucky parent and got to do some father/daughter bonding, which i will always cherish. When they get older, they go in on their own with the instructor with the parents watching from a separate area. Goldfish is a franchise based in the Chicago area. If you have one local, I would highly consider getting your little one signed up. Getting them used to the water young makes boating more enjoyable. We also have an Intex raft called Relaxation Station. It has a mesh center which allows us to take our daughter out of the boat and into the river. I keep it on the boat stored under one of the seats. 
    Go Steelers!!!
    @Cableguy Greg - great post.  That's the exact school we chose Goldfish swim school.  We can't wait her first session is the first week of March.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    tk1973 - That life jacket you posted...is it USCG approved?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Not sure to be honest. I’m in Canada. I’m sure it would say on their website. 
    Cool. When she gets older, she can go into a Puddle Jumper life jacket. Much cooler for her when she is moving around. How was Goldfish? Did you dunk her under water?
    Go Steelers!!!
    Goldfish is really fun...we had 2 sessions already and yeah she got dunked at both.  She handled it really good.  She's the youngest in the class being 4 months...so really just getting accustomed to being in water at this point.  So funny to they gave us a list of things she needs to work on and #1 is pool songs.  ha ha
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I was 2 when I got swimming lessons.  Back then they tossed you into the pool and told you to get to the edge.  I think the "instruction" consisted of showing me to exhale when I put my head in the water.  Really hated those classes.  But they worked.  I don't swim pretty but I don't drown.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Yeah I had swim lessons much later in life like 10 or 12 years old I think.  It really hurt me in terms of swimming skills.  I suck at treading water for more than a few minutes...I have to resort to floating on my back.  I want my daughter to really be comfortable in the water.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this post as we are getting ready to take our 3 1/2 month old for the first time.  We got the USCG jacket.  Has anyone ever put a kiddy pool ON the boat or am I asking for trouble? Doesn’t need to be a ton of water; just enough to keep her cool.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    edited May 2018
    @06Rinker270 - I'm not sure about putting it on the boat itself, but my wife bought an inflatable pool with an umbrella attachment for use on the dock.  If you are at the dock I don't see a reason why you couldn't put it on the boat...just not while underway.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    @06Rinker270 - I think this might be it....not an inflatable.

https://www.amazon.com/Step2-Play-and-Shade-Pool/dp/B004M05IK6/
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    @skennelly I was thinking the same and no, definitely not under way.  Something I can inflate and put a little cool water in. 

Have you guys had an overnight(or even for naps) with the baby yet?  Curious what other use for sleeping arrangements.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    edited May 2018
    @06Rinker270 - Yes we have spent 2 overnights with the baby so far and she did great.  Admiral, baby and dog get the V birth..baby closest to the anchor and Daddy sleeps in the aft bunk.  We are very lucky to have a baby that sleeps very well.

Admiral told me this for Memorial weekend possibly spending Saturday to Monday on the boat since the baby sleeps so well.

The only problem with the pool in the boat is having to step over it all the time.  With a 31/2 month you might be able to get away with a rubbermaid container :)
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @06Rinker270 we bought something like this for our 10 month old daughter. Should just fit on the platform and has a sun canopy.

2008 330EC
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I've seen the inflatable pool - sans water - used. It's a nice air cushion if they fall over. Kid was given a squirt toy and shade and entertained for hours while we had an adult conversation.

My kids want in the water the second we get to the ramp. It's a struggle.
    We have this for giving baths to our daughter. It has a too "Hot" indicator in it as well, which is nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-White-Hot-Inflatable-Duck/dp/B000066665?th=1

Go Steelers!!!
    We have one of those ducks too @Cableguy Greg.  ha ha cover all options to keep her happy :)
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3