Options

REPLACING MANIFOLDS AND RISERS

Could not start my starboard engine and called in the mechanic. He found water in plugs on one bank and says we caught the problem early and should be ok if manifolds and risers replaced. However he wants the boat out of the water to do the job. He is worried that boat could sink when doing the job. I realize there are associated risks but precautions can be taken ie
A final word of warning: each year, owners (and mechanics) sink boats by leaving the exhaust ports unplugged after disconnecting the manifolds. Waves sloshing into the ports can sink a boat overnight. Hoses must be plugged and tied securely above the waterline to prevent water from flowing into the boat. With this in mind, consideration for your manifold will pay dividends in reliability and peace of mind, giving you seasons of trouble-free service.
Article courtesy of Boat US
I have spoken with two other experienced mechanics who say no need to take it out of the water!!
I do not want to spend the money if not necessary as i just had the boat out one week ago to do an antifoul, leg service and polish.!!
Would appreciate comments as i have to proceed on this asap.

"festina lente" - 2001  340 FV

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dock neighbor replaced his manifolds and risers in the water on his 24 SR. Just make sure everything you have removed is above the waterline. If your mechanic has all of the parts, there's no reason why he couldn't be finished in a few hours. No reason to let it sit with everything apart.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    could they float it in the pit and drop the slings for the travel lift instead of hauling and chocking its really only a day job 
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    You can replace all of the parts you mentioned while the boat is floating 
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    You can do everything besides pulling the block which would require a drive removal lol
    when looking at y pipe replace your check valve flaps
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced one of my manifolds last year due to a small crack. It's a fairly easy job to do. Should only take a couple of hours. I cut the heads off two manifold bolts, threaded them into the block to us as guides. After I put the other two bolts in, I removed the guides and replaced with the regular bolts. Made the job very easy. Make sure you have the proper riser gaskets. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!