Fault Code on RPM Gauge

Hi folks, I’m wondering if anyone could assist in explaining what the following code that’s recently appeared on my Engine Hour Gauge means. There appears to be a symbol with what looks like an egg timer followed by the following: F9Ad0.9. There doesn’t appear to be anything wrong with the Boat but I am rather concerned. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Is that a Faria gauge? You may also want to remove the 12V and maybe that will reset it?
  • TorreTorre Member Posts: 8
    Yes Handyman it is a Faria Gauge but I was wandering what could have caused the fault in the first place. I’ll disconnect the battery and see if that does re-set it as you say. Thanks.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ......any other erratic gauges? Check ground.
    Hi Michael, all the other gauges read okay. No issues there.
    Report back after you unhook the battery
    You can also call them for tech sevice
    I've removed the Battery Terminals and left them off for over 15 mins and when I put them back on and switched on the ignition the fault re-appeared. I then removed the fascia and disconnected the plug from the gauge re-connected it and I still have the fault code. I don't understand what else this gauge could be connected to. I did have a Volvo Mechanic looking at my Water Pump a Month ago and had asked him to investigate but he said that there were no faults with the Engine. This is strange..

• dalekdalek Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a fault code. That small display should only display the engine hours. It is incapable of any diagnostic function. The only thing that tachometer is connected to is the ignition switch, a magnetic pick-up on the flywheel, and the instrument lights. I certainly would not worry about engine faults. Gauge maybe has water in it.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    It could be a fault in the gauge itself.  I imagine that display is supposed to show the hours on the engine.  

One other thing you might look at.  A lot of tachs have a switch on the back for 4/6/8 cylinder.  Might be worth switching it back and forth a few time in case there is a little corrosion on the contacts.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that it should make a difference but is this on a Rinker or Monterey? I see the Monterey emblem on the gauge.
    2008 330EC
    Hi Guy's, thanks for all the input. I agree that the Gauge should only read the engine Hours but as I'm new to this I was a bit concerned that it may also be capable of registering a Fault from the engine. I feel a better after reading Daleks post although I do appreciate all comments. The Boat is definitely a 2008 Rinker 280 EC and thanks again to all. I did send Fariah tech suppourt a mail to see if they could throw light on the subject but still no reply.