Davits on the new 370

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
We went to the Detroit Boat Show this weekend.  Got to meet Kim Slocum and told him about taking our 342 around Huron last season.

I climbed on the 370 and it seemed a little more cramped than our 342.  Really nice below and still has a separate shower.  but when I went to get off the boat I noticed the placement of the dinghy davit cut-outs.  The are off center pushed over to the starboard side.  Given the curve of the platform I was trying to figure out how in the heck that would work.  Nobody at the show seemed to have a good answer though.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and no pictures???
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    No, I'm not the shutter bug.  That's my wife's job.

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge, no disrespect intended but if the 370 seemed more cramped that a 342 you need to lay-off the cocktails before boat shopping. My 360 has been beside at least a half dozen 342s. The owners drooled all over my 360. They knew darn well there was no comparison in interior size ....anywhere. I had my friends 342 on a cruise with us for a week and there is no comparison ....anywhere. If I can find the pics I'll post them. Is the 342 an awesome boat - yes. Does it compare with a 360/370 ....only in the dreams of the owner of the 342.  WALK AROUND Queen sized island bed (not a sideways jammed small front berth)! 2 flex steel couches with better head room over the entire area, more head room by faaar at the helm etc. etc. Somehow this myth has developed by delusional 342 owners who try to compare their rigs to the 360/370.  Just pull your rig up beside one, that will end the conversation. Seriously, come on!

Re Davits: I have seen many 360s with a dinghy. Unless Rinker has moved the locations on the 370 there should be no problem. If Rinker has moved them they should work. Kim cruises on a 370 all the time. Did you ask him?

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Guess I was a little vague.  The cockpit seemed bigger.  The cabin slightly smaller.  Maybe the couch makes the area seem more full/occupied.   The bed may be queen sized in the V-berth but is looked short (can't tell as they had "do not get on bed" signs).  The head was a little smaller.  The shower reminded me of the kind on cruise ships (not that mine is much bigger).  I would miss the drawers under the V-berth too.  The mid berth seemed good sized.

I guess I was expecting it to be "much" bigger.  Course the LOA is only 10 inches more.

The davits were well to the starboard of center with one almost all the way on the starbaord edge and the other to the right of center.  I asked Kim about it and he said it was because of the ladder placement.

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    @Michael T I have a friend who has a newer 360 and my 02 342 is longer with the swim platforms and has more room in the cabin. He has much higher head room inside than mine. I am willing to bet that the new 370 has the same size hull as the older 342's....... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Well, I think this so called 'myth' is mainly because the newer boats are rebranded with the LOA as part of it's length, compared to the older boats that didn't. It's not just a Rinker thing, they've all done it.

I've seen the 360/370 literally rafted to a 342 probably 8-10 times over the last couple years.  Heck, there are several of each on my dock. There is a difference in the areas MT has mentioned, but it really depends on how much of that matters to someone.  For instance, you can still fit two people on the v-berth bed on both, not any more than that :) (yes you can walk around on the 360/370, but that is just walking space).  Couch or wrap around seating, that is really a preference and both take up about the same amount of space (I've measured and see it between the 390 and 400s, both literally take the same space).  Helm area is larger, but not the 3 feet larger between the boats. 

Davits, I'd be curious if they changed.  @LaRea has a 370, maybe he can chime in about the davits.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The davits on mine are slightly off-center.  On the 390 and 400, they seem to be farther off-center than mine.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The davits cutouts on my 342 are off center, shifted to Port. Rinker changed the 342 platform sometime in 2005 so maybe they are centered on the pre 05 models? 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    LaRea said:
    The davits on mine are slightly off-center.  On the 390 and 400, they seem to be farther off-center than mine.

That's just because as the boats get wider, they have more room to move them to the side.  I have mine on the davits and they boat doesn't stick out the side.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express