kohler 5e not starting

one_love_azone_love_az Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
new to me boat - need help here.  06 342 with Kohler 5e that turns over no problem but wont start or fire.  Getting spark and gas (replaced fuel pump this past week).   Ensured good gas and sprayed starting fluid into carb - nothing!!  I've had my marina at Saguaro Lake trouble shoot as well and they are stumped. (they performed full service - filters, impeller, anti-diesel, plugs).  They now recommend pull the genset out and take to local Kohler repair facility for repair.  I called the only designated Kohler facility in town - 50 miles from marina - they charge $3.50 per mile and $130/hr travel time plus they think 2 hrs to trouble shoot the genny.  So about $850 for a service call.  I know...fning ridiculous...and they may need to come out a second time so double that.  So, I spent several hrs this weekend confirming and testing what I could.  I tried to follow Kohler's recommended trouble shooting (marina guys did the same) but I'm not technical enough with the meter to get to far.  At end of day I pulled the main Circuit board and ordered a new one; figured $200 was worth the risk considering the alternative.  grasping straws here.  If that doesn't work I'm at a loss.  My neighbor suggested testing compression - He has a tester and I'll do that this weekend.  any other ideas?  thanks. 

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet it's the fuse holders.  There is a metal ring inside that can break off with age.  I had to replace mine last year.  See photo below: left is normal, middle has one ear broken off, right has both broken off.  Remove all fuses and inspect the holders.

If that's the problem, it's an easy fix.
    http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7899/generator-acting-flakey-diy-instructions-to-replace-the-fuse-holders

• one_love_azone_love_az Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    thanks @LaRea;  I'll put it on my list and let you know.  Fingers crossed.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would definitely exhaust all options before paying for the call. $3.50 per mile PLUS $130/hr drive time is highway robbery. If you do have to pull the genny you should be able to do it without moving an engine. @Alswagg would know better but you may need to remove the port engine heat exchanger, if you have one, and one or two other things to make room for the genny to come out. My fuel pump went last summer and after I replaced it the genny would not start. finally I bled the fuel lines, like a diesel, to the carb and she fired right up. I would assume your mechanics made sure that fuel is coming in to the bowl but worth a try. Of course when doing this I would stop, run blower for 20 min, then keep going, beware of any bilge fumes. good luck! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

thanks @Liberty44140.  I pulled the fuel line myself at the carb and there is fuel coming thru.  making a trip out to the lake this weekend - will keep you apprised.

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to replace the carburetor on mine.  Worked well since then.

There are sensors for the oil level and temp.  They are meant to stop the engine if there is a problem.  Should be a way to by-pass them and see if it starts.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Worked on this genset taking it apart pretty much piece by piece.  nothing so far.  we've come to the conclusion that valves/rods are the issue.  Pulling the genset soon.  any recommendations? My plan is to get a reconditioned for ~$4K to swap out then fix mine and sell to recoup some of the $$'s.  thoughts? 

Let us know how pulling it goes. I would take it to a kohler marine mechanic and get a ruling before buying another to swap. They can run in the shop and get you a determination. 

• jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    The basics are fuel, spark, and compression. If you are getting good spark, and you have good compression, then pull the plug wire off and try to start it. With no spark, the plug should be wet with fuel, if you are getting fuel into the cylinder. If ther plug is dry, then you may be getting fuel into the carb, but not into the cylinder. 

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I had issues with mine many years ago and it was found that one set of valves were so tight that it was basically running on one cylinder since new.  Carbon just built up until it wouldn't run any more.  They reset the valves and ran a carbon build-up cleaner thru it.  Has worked well for many years now.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pulling it does seem drastic as a place to start....i could pull mine now with no motor!
    edited March 2018
    And I would love to replace the bottom pan that is slowly rusting away...
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because of the vents above Ras??
    rasbury said:
    And I would love to replace the bottom pan that is slowly rusting away...
    Ras this is the right time to address with hour motor out. Pulled mine from a previous Rinker and it was just several bolts screwing it in through the pan. I am sure that I’ve read that you can buy new bottom, stainless pans due to the rust issue on salt boats. 

Because of the vents above Ras??
    On my 342 the vents used to let rain water on to the top of the genny, can’t understand that design, so I routed the vent elsewhere so that rain coming in through the intake vent went to the bilge

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah its too late for most of us Lib
    no, not on my boat....it is actually above the fuel tank in front of the motor very well protected. I think it was just not protected very well- the whole frame looks like it will eventually rust out leaving a genny just sitting there. I don't think you could pull it with the motor in- not sure how much it weighs but I assume more than I could handle by myself....might be able to slide it down a ramp in the bilge and then me and a friend re install....I would like to get it apart and clean it up but I guess once the rust starts, there really is no stopping it. It sat on a lift on the coast most of it's life- I just don't think they treat the metal on there well enough to last "forever". Once it starts, it just spreads like cancer.
  • johnp116johnp116 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    I just replaced the carb on mine and started right up, I had someone come look at it he said is was a control board. I replaced that still didn't work. He said is had fuel and spark I said then it should run. He never pulled the bowl from the carb. So I did and foindit wasn't getting gas ordered a new carb and all fixed.