Options

No power to ignition

jquintjquint Member Posts: 2
i have a 2000 Rinker 232 bowrider.  It was winterized by a local marina and we were just getting it ready for spring.  We have power to the accessories such as bilge and blower but when we turn the key we get nothing, no power to gauges, or a oil pressure buzzer.  Can’t seem to track down the problem.  Any ideas

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    They probably either turned the battery switches off or disconnected the batteries.  I'd check switches first.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Check for power at ignition switch
  • Options
    jquintjquint Member Posts: 2
    There are no battery switches and the battery is reconnected.  If there is no power at the ignition where would you check nest.  I️ like Tinkering with motors and repairs but electrical problems have always been my Achilles heel
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 1998 232cc had a fuse down by the starter that powered the entire dash. If it blew or got dislodged, the entire dash would not work. There is also a molex style plug with a large red wire in it that could have loosened up. It should be close to where the wires go into the split loom harness. That connector should be the main one from the helm to the engine.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also check your grounds. So many times I have found grounds to be the gremlins that cause electrical malfunctions.
  • Options
    cettialpha6cettialpha6 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    I've never worked on a 232 but I have the 246 which followed your model. I had the misfortune of having a dead short to ground last summer which took 2 weeks to find. Boat stopped in the middle of the lake. The compass on the dash had a crack in it and was the cause of no power to the dash. It was blowing the 15 amp fuse in line with the starting circuit. My suggestion to you is look for the fuse bank some where located on the top of the engine area. I also have a line of 3 relays near the fuse bank on mine. Check for 12v power to the fuse and if you have power then ohm out the fuse itself. If you don't know the specific fuse, ohm them all. Some of the other guys on the forum can probably give you more specific directions for the 232. I'm sure Raybo or Tiki hut can help you.
  • Options
    cettialpha6cettialpha6 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    oops.  Had a senior moment.
    I forgot to mention to check the main 50 amp breaker which should have a reset switch located on the top of the engine also. 
  • Options
    If no power at ignition then issue is down the chain
    if you have power then hey it could be the ignition itself 
  • Options
    Oh yeah swag
    Thats a good point 

• Options
    planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭