Genset runs - but no electricity

CaptainDPCaptainDP Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
I recently purchased a 2000 Rinker 340. It's had some normal issues that are expected, but yesterday we were on the hook when we wanted the AC. I flipped the breaker switches at the electrical panel, then turned on the genset. No electrical. I moved the switches back. Still nothing. I tried starting it with the breakers set for genset and then shore power. Nothing.  It has a 5KW Kohler genset. Suggestions?

Best Answers

Answers

• trich11trich11 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Do you try anything else on the boat to see if they worked? Did you meter show 115VAC on your panel?
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

What type of genset is it. Presumably a Kohler 5E? Was it working ok lately?

I'd 2nd what trich said and also ask if the breaker on the genset itself is tripped/off. I flip mine off by accident almost every time I get in the engine compartment. Some of the guys here really know these gensets and I'm sure they'll have your answer. 

Hope it's an easy one, welcome to the forum and have a great season. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • CaptainDPCaptainDP Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Shorepower works fine, shows on the panel and all of the outlets. I can't get at the genset very well myself - not as young (or thin) as I used to be. I just downloaded the manual to see where the breaker is on the genset itself.
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Kohler 5E has a black breaker right on the front of the control box that's mounted up on top of the genset. Pretty easy to see but you may need your readers on ;) . Good luck.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • CaptainDPCaptainDP Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Found it! It was the breaker at the genset control panel, probably tripped by my mechanic or the surveyor. Anyway, found a new use for the boat hook.  Thanks for all the help!