Options

engine re install

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
My motor is coming out Monday am which I would think the easy part. Shop at one of the marinas has a high long bridge crane I think it is called...how do they line up the engine mounting bolts to re install when 800 lbs of motor is swinging round on that crane?

Comments

• Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    They push it.
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    They slowly lower it in place and prep the mounts in advance.
    once sitting on engine mounts aligning and install begins 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, and we have used levels and the OEM alignment tool. Level for L-R  basic alignment and alignment tool for bow to stern alignment with drive. IMO this is a critical installation process for engine/coupler/gimbal/drive longevity. Need to get it right!

Funny (actually not so funny) story - helped a friend R&R his engine. While he had it out he called me to say "guess what? I decided to lay down some glass mat over the stringers and re-paint the engine bay". 

When I arrived he had done a beautiful job.....then my heart almost stopped. He hadn't put any pins/lags in the original engine mount holes to mark them. THAT re-install took some time! measure, measure, measure........  :-(
  • Options
    So the lags for the mounts go back from where they came- no "adjustment" on the transom plate, I have the alignment tool for the bearing/coupler, that about it? I do have an experienced friend o plan to drag into this- put way ahead of myself here. Very nervous as to what I find tomorrow morning when its pulled...
  • Options
    Good luck Ras I bet all will be okay! 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just pulled my 314cid and installed a 357mag last week.  finally got around to it.  

i don't have the luxury of a crane or a gantry with adjustments; what i do have is a gantry i built out of dimensional lumber.  the business end is two 2x6 build ups braced with two 2x8 buildups.  then i tacked a couple 2x6 3' sections across center, and dropped a chain over it to an electric 1200# wench.  it works, but i have to take several shots to get the boat under it right.  

IF you're putting in the same engine you pulled, it's no big deal.  if you're not, there could be issues.  those issues are addressed by pulling the feet of the mounts off the block doing an alignment before you reattach them... this could mean two pulls of that engine.  

but anyway... 

the mounts on both my engines are the same, and the blocks are the same... i had relative assurance i wasn't going to have to pull the mount feet off the blocks (the lags)... 

this is the trick to installing an engine, and it is this simple (or hard) : the transom plate only goes on one way- there is no other way for it to mount properly.  those are what matter...

1.   lower the lower mount nuts all the bottom...

(so, having an engine crank-level connecting the wench to the engine makes life a lot easier.)

2. lower the engine in (and if you're reusing the mount feet- stab them) carefully in small increments-

3. check the transom mounts.  when the engine's transom mounts marry the transom plate with the little pad in between them, the bolt falls through without resistance, and the threads are easy to get a nut on.  hand tighten those nuts (they're HARD to get to, stand by for that)...

4. while the weight of the engine is still on the wench (and transom plate, now) raise the lower front mount nuts until you can't anymore (by hand)... 

5. spin the top front mount nuts to flush, making sure the little plate that keeps the lower one from moving is properly oriented. 

6. lower the engine until the full weight is on the mounts- if you did this right you shouldn't lower much at all. 

7. reach back and get a hold on the transom mount bolt, and since they're only threaded on a few threads they should slide up and down easily... again, they only mount ONE way- if they don't freely move with the weight of the engine on the plate and the feet, your 'rough alignment' is wrong. 

8. it should be^ if you did this right... so all you do now is tighten the rear (transom mount) bolts to spec.  I think it's 45#'s.  Also note: mecr no longer uses those things that look like a valve spring and a lockwasher had unprotected sex- they simply use a lock washer.  it doesn't matter what style you have, I guess. 

9. stab the alignment rod- which should take a whole new ten step list.  adjust FRONT MOUNTS ONLY accordingly.

10. stab the outdrive. 

it sounds difficult, but this is only about an hours worth of work. 

if you're installing a motor that is different than the one you pulled:

the variant to the above is: 

remove the lag bolts and remove the lower mount feet from the mounting block. fill the holes properly.  if you have concerns about the location of the holes in relation to the holes the new feet are going to stick into, buy some problem solver mounts- they are wider/longer so you have relative assurance you're not going to go near the same holes again. 

attach the feet to the mounts on the engine... sit the engine into the hold following the above procedure making certain the transom mounts are properly connected. they don't have to be tight, they just have to be seated the only way they can be properly seated. 

once that is done- spin the lower feet (you may have to bump the wench up JUST a touch) to their proper position, and mark the hole location.... 

remove the transom plate bolts, lift engine... toss back enough beer to sooth the nerves, and drill holes slightly smaller than the lags. 

set the engine back in.. check transom plate/rear engine mount alignment again- follow the procedures above again... then spin the feet to match the holes- use a screwdriver to make sure they're aligned if you must... once they are set the weight down... lather a lag in 4200, and drive it in. 

then break out the alignment bar and have at it.    
  • Options
    Thanks @212rowboat and I will study this- I am putting the same motor back in- and I will have the advantage of a tech pulling it and putting it back in- I m doing the grunt work. We will see how it goes! Good to hear from you and have not noticed you on the forum alot recently - I really do value your input on several of the projects I have been way over my head!
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    @rasbury === let this be over= good luck ras=  ;)
  • Options
    i hope it helps you @rasbury ... 

the engine left-to-right leveling is tricky... it's tricky because you can't account that the boat is sitting dead level- it could be the surface the trailer is sitting on is crowned, it's not on the trailer dead even, or the straps (if slung) aren't absolutely flat.... could be one tire doesn't have the pressure the other side has, or the springs under one side sag a bit more... you get the idea. 

the transom plate doesn't lie.  if that engine is sitting on the transom plate properly, and there is no resistance to the bolts sliding up and down in their slots, you're good.  if the engine is not level, one side of the transom plate mount may freely slip in and out- but the other side may have a 'rough spot' where it doesn't.  if it's on that plate dead level (in relation to the engine/plate), both bolts will align accurately and the bolt slide up and down without any resistance or 'rough spots'.   the good news is the engine 'wants' to sit on those transom plates properly.... if you move slowly and carefully, it will seat right up.

for instance, my positioning of the boat and size of the hold required me to park slightly forward of perfect transom alignment so i could clear the steering hydraulics.. once the shaft was below the strut, i backed up (the truck) ever so slightly, but STILL had to push/pull the engine backward to align the transom plate... i used the crank engine level to achieve the angle i needed- and once i found it, two feet on the front of the engine and wench control in hand, i bumped it lower in increments.. when it rested on the transom plate properly (still had the front of the engine weight on the wench/gantry) i could tell it was right as the weight didn't yawl- it rested side-to-side simultaneously.  i could 'feel' it seat... i still checked it with the bolts, though...  
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Everything went fine today, motor is in the garage.a little drama, place I was going to I called just to double check the height of their crane and they said it would not work- so went with plan b and a huge forklift- $175.00 to pull it- for no longer than it took seems like a lot but I guess not to bad....
  • Options
    Guess I can put the out drive back on and dunk it and really be able to see the leak with no motor!
  • Options
    if it makes you feel any better, my gantry was perfect height for my old trailer, but with the new one and when the boat was free of the motor?  it was about an inch and a half too short... 

6x6's to the rescue... i put them under each leg and made the gantry 5.5" taller.  disaster averted. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    edited March 2018
    Ras, make sure to take some pictures (for us and so you have them of areas you can't normally see).  Also take a look at the oil pan to see if it needs painting (and isn't rusting thru).  Might also be a good time to clean the bilge and look closely at the bilge pump (I'm sure it's difficult to replace with engine in there)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I'd replace the oil pan and add an oil extractor fitting and hose that could be hooked directly to a pump later. Also, I'd for sure dry, de-grease and coat the bilge with an epoxy paint. I believe someone on the forum did a beautiful job of this and posted pictures. Hopefully once in a lifetime chance to get several things right the easy way.

+1 on @Dream_Inn's idea to look at bilge pump. In fact for the price I'd replace it and run new wires.

Also I'd check any wiring that was hard to get at later, particularly grounds. If in doubt and there's enough slack, cut the end off and look for corrosion, if none re-attach. If you find corrosion replace with tinned wire.
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    when i  did my engine swap last year, i left the bottom plate of the mount attached to the stringer and left the bottom adjusting nut in place. mark the nut and mounting stud just in case it gets moved ,made re-alignment real easy.
  • Options
    It is a rare opportunity for sure to clean up- and it is a mess! There really is no way to clean with that pesky motor. It will get a good scrub down and would love to clean and paint, that won't happen. Will for sure look at that bilge pump but it is located in front if the motor and easy to get to anyway. It should be to the back as there can be a lot of water down there before it comes on. I still have to identify the leak which is the main goal.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are the pics Ras???
  • Options
    To messy to post a pic! So I for sure have a leak around the gimbal as well as a leak around the thru hull for the engine cooling - I had tested all of them with a fake lake and sprinkled powder around them so that was a shock.....will have to get back at it in a week or so...
  • Options
    Here is a picture of the contraption I made to get the motor home, rolled it off the trailer into my garage...
  • Options
    I think your boat is now a teaching apparatus 
  • Options
    I think your right...sure is teaching me!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great that your going to get some time to detail the engine, especially the areas you can't normally reach.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I did clean the bilge out some last night...I for sure have a leak around the gimbal ring but also had a leak coming thru the pick up for engine cooling which was a real surprise. I'm sure they have never been re sealed- I had tested them all probably about a year and a half ago with a fake lake and I even put powder around them to see if I had any moisture coming thru but did not. Perhaps when the engine was pulled for the coupler they only lifted and did not disconnect the hose and pulled on it.....hope I don't have some major hull and transom issues. It was a one owner boat but who knows...
  • Options
    Ras
    how do you know it’s one owner
    paper trail ?
  • Options
    Really nice work on the engine dolly Ras. I think you will be able to re-seat that through hull without hull damage. 
  • Options
    well....the guy I bought it from said he bought it new so I guess I'm basing it on that...is damaging the hull re sealing a thru hull an issue? I thought from reading other posts it is not that un common??
  • Options
    No its not. Replace or reseal
  • Options
    I had to do 4 of mine
  • Options
    When someone says I am the original owner of the boat it’s probably a lie unless they can provide paper trail.
    boats have no traceability unless it’s documented by owner or dealers.
  • Options
    I think I recall seeing the title and the original purchase date...guy was loaded with toys...