Options

Exhaust shutter project

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
plan for today was to change all 4 exhaust shutters on my 350 mags. It didn’t happen. I could not for the life of me get them apart. There is zero corrosion or rust, I am fresh water, but could not budge the exhaust elbow. I did use a hose pick to get the boots separate, I could wiggle it, but no dice. Thinking I may just pay a mechanic to go change them. Thoughts?
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you slide the boot up or down to gain access to the shutters?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Wouldn’t slide. I worked on it for an hour, for the boot loose but it wouldn’t slide. Is there a trick to get it to slide?

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy the gasket for the top of the exhaust elbow and remove the entire elbow. Much easier that way.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks, may do that. 

• Options
    Once that is off, it makes the job much easier.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks, pull 4 screws and pull the entire thing up? Obviously the clamps on the lower boot loose of off. May try that before paying someone. Looks like 4 gaskets can be bought for under $40 delivered. 

• Options
    Yes, remove 4 bolts and pull up. Make sure you get the correct gaskets. When I did my exhaust manifold, it was pretty easy pulling that apart.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Greg!

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I used the merc perfect seal on the riser to manifold and torqued to 33# then  re torqued  after about 10 hrs run time 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heated the rubber sleeve with a hair dryer (carefully - to loosen them and have worked dielectric grease (clear grease that will not harm automotive rubber) sold by Ford for use on spark plug boots, under the edges. 
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    MT is correct. I used a hair dryer to warm up the rubber boot.  Then used a little screwdriver. Slid the flat screwdriver slightly under the rubber then placed a small piece of wooden dowel under so not to scratch too much paint, then pry up.  When there was enough gap I sprayed a little pb blaster in there.  Worked it around a little and it freed up. 
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I may try heat. Can not slide boots up, there are notches to prevent that, they only go down. I like Greg’s idea to just remove the elbows. Other than having to buy new gaskets, why not just remove the exhaust elbows?

• Options
    Thanks guys, I may try heat. Can not slide boots up, there are notches to prevent that, they only go down. I like Greg’s idea to just remove the elbows. Other than having to buy new gaskets, why not just remove the exhaust elbows?
    FYI.   Those gaskets are around $35 each   
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    70 per motor vs time and paint saved? Plus a good look at the inside of the manifold? Boat has o be out of the water right?
  • Options
    I was going through the same for the motor pull and just pulled the risers....
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    70 per motor vs time and paint saved? Plus a good look at the inside of the manifold? Boat has o be out of the water right?
    Good point.  A good look at the elbow may be in order.  
  • Options
    Yep boat is out of the water. It looks like I can get after market gaskets for under $10 each. Not sure that oem is really needed here. In pulling back the boots on the exhaust elbows the elbows looked pretty good but would be good to check. Again I am fresh water.
    Ras- what do you mean by paint saved?

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Prying those boots off- I gave up pretty quick! Pull the boots off the risers- found mine were toast so the list gets longer but in way, good thing I'm looking at this stuff now. Elbow was fine and I think not replaced often- manifolds and risers is what needs inspection. Mot sure if mine have ever been replaced...
  • Options
    Thanks! I think I get your point... just pull the darn exhaust elbow and be done with it  :)

• Options
    Ok - so this is the beauty of this forum. Awesome to get different opinions and make your own plan. As @Trashman said, these gaskets are $30 or more each so a min of $120 for full replacement. The $10 gaskets I saw were for older RWC 350's, not my post 2002 closed cool. My boat has always been in fresh water, never seen salt, and from what I read online manifolds and elbows on freshwater boats last decades. The chances of any issues there are incredibly slim so I am less concerned with inspection. 

New plan - I am going to try to use the hairdryer method this weekend to slide the boots down. Any other ideas on sliding the boots down? dishsoap & water? I wont spend the $120 in gaskets because it wont be much more to just pay someone to do this. 

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    those boots have a slight bend formed into them.. one side (lower) is slightly shorter than the (upper) side when they are installed.  

use dish soap.  when its wet it's slick, when it dries it's sticky... meaning, you can get them off easier and reinstall them easier, but when it dries you dang near don't require the and clamps (by law you do, and by any reason... i'm just saying they stick a lot better)... 

so here are the tricks: 

1. remove or loosen ALL the clamps on the boot.  dip a plastic knife in dawn soap and slip it between the boot and the elbow on both sides.  

2. don't try to slide the boots up or down yet... simply grab them with both hands on either side, and twist them left and right... you're taking advantage of the slight bend shape in their form.  when it twists/turns, it will open a small gap on either side.. add water (which will mix with the soap already in there from the knife)

3. twist some more.. when it starts to turn easily, and it will, simply push rearward toward the Y pipe as you're still twisting.  there ya go. 

• Options
    Thanks Drew! I will have this printed and ready :smile:

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh... i should have added:  on the Y pipe behind the boot, wipe some dawn on it too- with a bit of water. make it nice and slick, and the boots will slide right down them.... using soap makes it a self cleaning mess.  it won't hurt a thing to let it dry on there when you're done, whereas if you used petroleum based or synthetic type lubricant, you gotta clean it up else endure the smell as it burns off.  
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I just got a call from my mechanic saying mine need to be replaced.  Must be something in the water.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Any idea how old your are Stodge? Original?

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Stodge how did he come up with that conclusion 
    noise at idle or other work being done 
  • Options
    I didn't ask.  The boat is still on blocks and the outdrives came off for service.  If I had to guess someone else had a problem recently and he thought "wonder what this one looks like".  

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    That’s weird
    You usually hear a tick when rubber wear out down to metal.
    other would be a severe over heat condition that just melts the flaps.
    checking flaps would make sense to make sure they are still there.
    not having flaps can cause a hydro lock 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge If your flaps fell apart your mechanic probably saw them in the exhaust when he took the drive off.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Wow, and here I thought he was just psychic.  Burst my bubble.  :)