Options

Removed 5e carb, fuel leak

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Generator Discussions
I removed my kohler 5e carb yesterday with plans to clean & rebuild it. I already bought the rebuild kit from partsfortechs. As you can see I replaced the ads two years ago.

anyway looks like it has been leaking fuel. Part of the reason I wanted to rebuild was that I get a fuel smell in the cabin after shutting the genny down (which yes I know is very very bad hence rebuilding now). Issue is this, I can’t tell
if the ads, spring screw or bowl screw were leaking. Before I rebuild I wanted to put this out there for your thoughts and comments. Is this rebuildable or should I be buying a new carb? I plan to call partsfortechs to see if they have any rebuild diagrams. 

07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Post edited by Liberty44140 on

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ADS should close off the fuel flow when the gen is off to prevent run-on.  

Partsfortechs is great.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks BD, I will call them tomorrow. This could be leaking at either the bolt that holds the bowl on or the Ads, right? Amazing how bad the parts diagram is in the parts manual. 

• Options
    Got the carb rebuilt and re installed. Re build with the rebuild kit was not too bad. Parts for techs tried to be helpful but while they know the generator big picture they did not know the workings of the carb itself. Called our local kohler marine certified shop and they gladly gave me 10 min to talk. They said even though it looked like the leak looked to be from the ads, bowl bolt or the idle air screw the likely culprit was the needle seat worn or dirty which was in the rebuild kit. They said the idle screw should not see liquid so it likely was not leaking but to take it out and clean it just in case.

surprisingly the idle screw at the bottom of the bowl was screwed all the way in, don’t know if that is normal or not?

Anyway carb all re built and re installed. Was very clean inside. At this point if I had to do it over I’d pribably just replace the carb for $240 rather than buy the $45 kit. I bought a new ads for $100 two summers ago so I didn’t want to buy an entirely new carb. Main reason I don’t think I’d rebuild again is that that ridiculous white paint flakes off when you start working on it and then add carb cleaner and it really starts to flake. Was a mess and really hard to keep it out of the carb. Had to be really careful and blow it out. Looks great now so hopefully it starts faster and no fuel leak this spring, if I have any issues I’ll just replace the entire carb and be done with it.