Took the waste tank out today

aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 1,955Member ✭✭✭✭
I was in the boat the other day to pull out some window panels to have them redone. While I was in the boat I wanted to inspect the engine room. I saw puddling of water/mold in the aft starboard corner near the waste tank, there was also an odor. I feared the tank was cracked so I decided to pull it out today. I believe the issue was the discharge outlet hose clamps were loose but wanted to pull it out anyway to clean. I guess pumping out doesn't get everything out as it made more of a mess when the tank was ready to come out. Since I have it out I think I'll install a tank saver. I'll also plug all of the holes and pressure test or fill with water to be sure there are no cracks. If needed I will get some poly-weld and fix. Wasn't a fun job!! Wish I took a before pic. I could only imagine doing this job in 90 degree heat!

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Posts: 6,347Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @aero3313....is that the bumper and headlight for one of my favorites the KG?
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 1,955Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4
    @Michael T I sold the Ghia a year and a half ago and replaced it with a 1956 Austin Healey 100 (with a Chevy 350 conversion). I thought I mentioned it to you on an earlier thread ( I think you said you had a Healey also). I could be wrong though. 
    Heres a a pic of her in Port Jefferson this fall and a pic of her in "race mode" (windshield down
    Post edited by aero3113 on
    Second pic was before I went back to the knock off wire wheels. The P.O. Installed the solid wheels, I couldn't wait to replace them!
  • LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 2,666Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy smokes, that's a good-looking ride!

You are right - this is a great time of year for messing with a holding tank.  
    Thanks @LaRea !
  • Michael TMichael T Posts: 6,347Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes you did. I have a number of conversations each year about old rides, AH 3000, KG, XKE......hard to keep the conversations straight! LOL
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 4,497Member, Moderator mod

well, since we are all off-topic, I'll say timing is appropriate.  I had my old ride (1937 Ford P/U) out yesterday.  Sure felt nice getting the old girl out and blow smoke!  She's all street rod, so a fun little ride!

Aero, that's a beautiful ride!  I bet she's fun on those nice days with the top down!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Nothing better than driving a classic! (Except driving the boat!!)
    I cleaned out the tank today. Used some Purple Power at first then water and bleach. Think it looks pretty good for a 17 year old wast tank! I also pressure tested it today and no leaks!  :)

LoL! :D
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 4,236Member ✭✭✭✭
    ok, I'll say it, that's a crappy job! Did the same thing, not fun.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 1,756Member ✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice and clean!
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

As I said earlier, there was mold in the bilge. I attacked the starboard side this morning. I did some research and found that Home Armor works great. I tried it and couldn't believe the results. Just spray on and wait 10 minutes and the mold is gone! Minimal effort, once it sat I wiped it off. The fumes started to get to me so I'll hit the port side another day.

Before

After

• Handymans342Handymans342 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 6,540Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 6,540Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine what's under the fuel tank, midberth, front berth etc
    Your right, will be hard to get under the fuel tank though.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 4,497Member, Moderator mod
    Man, that looks like some good stuff!  I get some mold in my rear trunk area and in my dock box that it looks like that would work well on!  Thanks!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

@Dream_Inn , I can't believe how well this stuff works. Wish I knew about it sooner. Once I get the winter cover off im going to wipe some on my white seat vinyl and see how it does. I wasn't planning on working on the boat today but I ended up cleaning the transom,port side, and mid bilge. I didn't take any before pics (wish I did) but they came out great! I forgot to take a pic of the mid bilge. 

And where you by this magical spray- with the motor out, this is the result im looking for!
    At a very magical place called Home Depot  ;) ;)
    edited March 12
    I thought it would be on the cleaning product aisle but it was in the paint section.
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 1,448Member ✭✭✭✭
    Be easy with bleach on vinyl seats dry's them out over time. Had 23' Doral scrubbed the hole boat down with softscrub by the end of the year the vinyl was hard and cracking, but the boat was white as white could be.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 2,105Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good find, I had used purple power before, this looks like a better product. For that propose. Raybo please give this man 250 extra bonus points.
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
    Yea, I'll try to rinse it off the vinyl the best I can.
    If its its just a lot of bleach then I suppose any number of products that would work- not much to hurt in the bilge I suppose....i will try that for sure, thanks!
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 1,276Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'd bet a lot of the "anti-mould" products are just a diluted bleach solution in a spray bottle.
    "Knot Quite Shore"
    I’ve used other products with bleach and they don’t remove stains at all.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 1,756Member ✭✭✭✭
    That home Armour stuff from HD works great. Occasionally I’ll get blackish stains on my roof shingles. Will spray that stuff on the roof and within a month or two the stains are gone! Lasts a couple of years. Have also had success on vinyl siding. 
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser