Trim sender digital and analog

Jason23Jason23 Member Posts: 15
edited March 2018 in Engine Discussions

Hello

After the incident on the water I had to change the entire TRANSOM kit. Broken TRANSOM number was 1A409251. My boat engine is 496 MAG H/O DTS B3 with DTS system (engine number 1A077644).

I have ordered and already received a new TRANSOM (number 6200011S or 2A516191) but on the new TRANSOM there is only one TRIM SENDER with three wires (Digital), and on the other side, where on the old TRANSOM was simple (Analog) TRIM SENDER, it's just a factory-fitted cover.

When removing a broken TRANSOM I found connected two TRIM SENDERS: Digital (3 wires) and Analog (2 wires), but, as I mention before, on the new TRANSOM there is no the Analog TRIM SENDER with connector.

Could you help me to with that?

Should I leave it without the Analog connector at all, or to buy an additional Analog TRIM SENDER and put it on plugged in like it was on the old TRANSOM?

Another question has arisen, why it needs both TRIM SENDERS Digital and Analog?

I found in the scheme that they are joining with each other (they are connected to each other by wires)?

Thanks 

Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe with DTS you need the digital sender and you don't need the analog one at all.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Jason23Jason23 Member Posts: 15
    I have Mercruiser Tech answer:

,,Thank you for contacting MerCruiser regarding your engine serial number 1A077644. The original transom serial 1A409251 was a Bravo SeaCore SmartCraft Transom. This transom is setup for use on 496 and 496HO engines that were built with SeaCore protection. This drive will have the one 3-wire sender and a 2-wire sender on opposite side. The 2-wire sender is there for a boat builder to use and drive a trim position gauge separate from a SmartCraft gauge.

The replacement you purchased, serial 2A516191 is a Bravo Digital Transom that is non SeaCore. This will only have one digital, 3-wire sender installed. There will be a dummy cover on the opposite side.

The problem you have with the transom you purchased is, the transom is not SeaCore so this SeaCore protection will be reduced with the transom not having this feature. You may not need to have the 2-wire sender if the boat builder did not use it to drive one of their trim gauges. If this was not used with the original setup, then not having it installed now does not affect you.  However, if you need this 2-wire sender you will need to replace the 3-wire sender you have with this kit part number 8M0107462. This kit contains a 3-wire digital sender and 2-wire analog sender.".

• minnesotaminnesota Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Hi Jason23, could you give me the web site where you got this answer from the Mercruiser Tech?  I have a few questions on  digital trim sender. Thanks
    2008 280 EC
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Unless you have the digital connections on your engine to plug into you are going to need to swap out the digital one for a analog sender.  I replaced my transoms last year and had to do the same thing.  Not terribly difficult while on the ground.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!