Options

Drive Service Begins

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
In another thread last summer I outlined my issues with an upper drive seal leak that was present when we purchased the boat and was eventually "fixed" by the broker/dealer.
By fall I was losing drive oil again and in consultation with our mechanic had decided to do a full service this spring before launch. I'll then know it's done right and I shouldn't have to worry about it for hopefully several years.
Next week he's going to pull the drive and at minimum we're going to change out a full upper seal kit, gimbal bearing, all bellows, cable seal,water pick up etc.
I think hes being very reasonable at $1400 all in. If the upper yoke looks bad we'll change that too for a total of $1850. Included in those prices is the labour to install a new Mercathode anode and full sacrificial magnesium anode kit that I procured myself.
I also discussed as an add on having him touch up and repaint the drive and if the shift cable looks the least bit worn we'll add that on also. With any luck I should be good for a while. Fingers crossed.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments