Options

Volvo-Penta outdrive factory snafu...fixed under warranty

andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
I just got my FV250 boat back in the water after two months in the shipyard. No problems apparent with the Ocean X DP drive, it was performing normally, just needed giving it a service whilst out of the water, I thought. Bottom paint, both flaky trim actuators replaced, swim light fixed and an oil change. Why two months? Well, when the drive oil drain plug was pulled, the oil was milky and showed signs of saltwater contamination. Was it the bellows? Nope. A pressure test revealed a leak in the seal between the upper and lower cases.

So you can imagine what I'm thinking when I heard this news. How did this happen? So the shop tears down the drive to see where the problem lies. See photo. The bolts shown by the arrow were installed at the factory UPSIDE DOWN! This caused a tiny gap that allow sea water to enter. Holy crap, was this assembled on a Friday afternoon before a Swedish national holiday, or what?

So now the good news. The drive was installed in May of 2015 and was still under warranty. Volvo-Penta stepped up without hesitation and agreed to cover all the costs of rebuilding the drive to new condition. So it took time for the parts to arrive and caused quite a delay. All put back together, passes pressure test, good to go. Drive painted and I'm on my way for a great summer. Ahh, the joys of boating.

Andy.

Comments