is there anyway to replace the fluid in a compass

dwolfdwolf Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
 Is there anyway to replace the fluid in a compass?while my boat was being worked on the compass apparently was damaged and all the liquid has leaked out.  It's a dash mounted compass on my  Captiva 232 or is the compass ruined 

Answers

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    You can buy compass oil..not sure how to fill it though
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the fluid leaked out from damage, it is likely not fixable, unless it's something small like a seal on a fill screw or something. But if the glass was hit hard enough to drain all the fluid, I'd start shopping for a new one.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • cettialpha6cettialpha6 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If this compass has a diode lamp for lumination, I would not risk trying to fix it. A new one is +/- $125. The compass is wired in series with the starting circuit and can be a heII to troubleshoot if it shorts out. I've never had a use for ours because of gps, cell phones and vhf radio. My compass has become an ornament on the dash.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine suffered the same fate- it's the expensive one, I looked at replacing it and it was like a grand so it just sits there on the dash...low priority but I really do want to have one if I get back to the gulf. Realistically, I am never in a body of water that I can't see the shore somewhere. 
  • kordokordo Member Posts: 229 ✭✭
    I believe you can use mineral, available from any drug store.
  • Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    My compass leaked and wasn't accurate. Bought a cheap replacement as filler and bought a Lowrance with GPS with Navionics map. Money better spent.
  • bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    My compass lost all liquid last summer. Its not worth spending time or money  filling an old leaky compass .
    Purchase a new one.
    Post edited by bry1429 on
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I read an article that said not to use mineral oil....I'll try and find it
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Got a new Richie for under 100 dollars. It was a little smaller but fit the hole and is lighted. 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Likely no way to refill. Been there. 

FYI: if you use your phone compass to try and true your boat compass: make sure the phone is NOT using the cell towers (check your phone settings). It can be WAY off or erratic.  Been there too. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI